IGNORED

How high does your Z sit with various suspension combos

deadflo

I think (from past experience with Bilsteins on other cars) that if Bilsteins were still available that they would increase the ride height over non-gas shocks. But since Carl's blue Z still has 35 year old springs, it is quite possible that they have sagged some.

My guess after looking at the pictures of your white 260Z is that you'll need to cut your springs about the same as I did, as noted in my first reply to this thread:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=247187&postcount=16

Can I conclude that Bilsteins do not cause an increase in ride height but European springs do?

Thanks,

Fixitman

It's more a case of the older gas pressure shocks vs the newer high pressure gas shocks. (not so much the specific Brand of the shock). If Bilstein still produced the exact same shock - it would not raise the rid height.

The Bilsteins on my Blue Z were installed around 1975 (lifetime warranty but they are still fine). When the aftermarket manufacturers were building lower pressure gas fill shocks - they did not raise the ride height of the Z's. All the newer high pressure gas shocks seem to raise the ride height.

We took an original set of springs off my son's 70 240-Z, properly measured on specialized equipment - they were within Factory Spec. - that is to say, that there was no "sag". It takes a lot of miles of harsh use to cause a coil spring to finally start to break down and sag.

The Euro Spec. Springs installed in the North American Spec. 240Z's will raise the rid height, unless you cut a coil or two off.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I am restoring an early '74 260Z with Stage 1 European springs, part nos. 54010-N3500 & 55020-N3501, and Bilstein shocks purchased in the early 80's. As you can see in the attached photo, the ride height is rather high. Granted, the bumpers, exhaust, interior and spare tire still need to be installed but the ride height still seems excessive. Will the ride height decrease with more weight and use?

Thanks,

FixItMan

This is what I wanted to avoid and why I removed 2 1/2 coils from the front and 1 3/4 coils from the rear. the ride is good for street and the car corners vary well. Push hard on mountain roads she stays flat in the turns, I have KYB G-2 for struts I am no running 205/70-14 in the rear and 1.95/70-14 in the rear. the larger tire contacted the fender extension. She measures 25 3/4 both front and rear and the tires fill the the wheel well . About a 2'' gap above the tire.

Hi

I have the same problem, with European Springs and Hp tokico shocks. The car seems like a monster truck, is very high and I would like to see it as it was before.

Pic_15158_2.jpg

Pic_15158_3.jpg

Pic_15158_17.jpg

I already read about cut the springs, but I didn`want to cut them!

So here goes my options

1 - Let it stay at it is and wait untill some day it lower a little bit! :)

2 - Buy Eibach springs at MSA, already read in some threads before, the members that put them are very glad with it. What about the ride is still firm and good for some speed?

3 - Buy Koni red shocks and change them!

Please tell me something, please, car is almost done, and now this thing of have to change shocks... well I thought I had all right!!!

Thank you for your help

Filipe Azevedo

It's more a case of the older gas pressure shocks vs the newer high pressure gas shocks. (not so much the specific Brand of the shock). If Bilstein still produced the exact same shock - it would not raise the rid height.

The Bilsteins on my Blue Z were installed around 1975 (lifetime warranty but they are still fine). When the aftermarket manufacturers were building lower pressure gas fill shocks - they did not raise the ride height of the Z's. All the newer high pressure gas shocks seem to raise the ride height.

We took an original set of springs off my son's 70 240-Z, properly measured on specialized equipment - they were within Factory Spec. - that is to say, that there was no "sag". It takes a lot of miles of harsh use to cause a coil spring to finally start to break down and sag.

The Euro Spec. Springs installed in the North American Spec. 240Z's will raise the rid height, unless you cut a coil or two off.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl, I'm not trying to belabor the issue but just understand the problem. Since my Bilsteins were purchased around 1983, can I assume they are of the lower pressure type? These stocks have not been used yet. Will the ride height decrease as the shocks break in?

If I have lower pressure gas shocks, then the problem has to be the springs. Why do European springs cause a ride height problem on USA Z's? What's different about the suspensions? With 85,000 miles on the original springs, is their use a viable option to reduce ride height with Bilsteins?

Filipe, I feel your pain! Your ride height seems higher than mine. Perhaps as more of the parts are added, the additional weight will drop the height a little.

Fixitman

I already read about cut the springs, but I didn`want to cut them!

So here goes my options

2 - Buy Eibach springs at MSA, already read in some threads before, the members that put them are very glad with it. What about the ride is still firm and good for some speed?

Please tell me something, please, car is almost done, and now this thing of have to change shocks... well I thought I had all right!!!

Thank you for your help

Filipe Azevedo

Hi about my options, what do you think of it?

Thank You

Filipe Azevedo

So here goes my options

That will take a long time, if ever. Many, many years. As Carl noted above, coil springs aren't very prone to sag. In fact, both beandip and I noticed that our cars actually got TALLER after some break-in miles, presumably because the KYBs had less "stiction" as the seals broke in. Both our cars went up about 1/4-3/8" (7-10mm).
Since I've never used them, I'll have to let some one else answer this one.
Still not good enough. I had non-gas Mulhollands in with my springs for a while. While the car will sit lower than it does now with your Tokicos, it will still be 3/4-1" (20-25mm) too tall, because of the springs alone.

My advice would be to cut the springs. I'm happy with the results on my cut springs.

Filipe,

Don't understand why you might have a problem with Tokico shocks. I have them on my 73, and the car lowered about 3 cm. The shocks/springs combination is just great. Best I have ever had on the car and I have tried many combinations.

Here's a photo with 15 inch tires.....

You might notice the 055 CD plates... spent many years in Portugal and absolutely loved your country....

post-7417-14150802949559_thumb.jpg

post-7417-14150802950205_thumb.jpg

post-7417-14150802950788_thumb.jpg