IGNORED

How high does your Z sit with various suspension combos

deadflo

As suggested by jmortenson, i am asking for general feedback on

A How high your car sits with various spring/strut combos

and

B do you like this setup????

It would be nice to see some measurements made from the ground to the upper wheelwells and the rockers as well.

Thanks Mike.

In an effort to keep this thread going (I hope it will be useful as a comparison for folks wanting to update their suspensions or compare differnt types) I have 24 and half inches from ground to top of my rear whell wells, 25 and half in the front.

I have yellow springs, could be Suspension Techniques or even old Interpart, but rear shocks are worn out.

In the onwers manual one P.O. had made a note about installing "Mullholland" struts back in mid 70's, they copuld still be in there.

tire size 215-60-14 on old style slotted mags.

The height seems ok to me, no real bottoming issues, unless I drive over something real nasty, but again rear shocks are shot.

I want to know what other prople think about their setups so I can update mine...

Tokico Springs (Red)

Tokico Struts (non-adjustable)

195/60-14

24" rear

24.5" front

I like the ride height but I don't have a good before-and-after type of comparison. When I put this setup on the car a few years ago I was replacing sagging original springs as well as the original struts. As I recall even though the new springs are supposed to lower the car an inch they actually raised it a bit due to the sagging springs.

Hi Guys:

According to the Factory Spec.'s - you should have 6.34 inches between the ground, and the front frame rail - measured at the seam where the floorboard section meets the firewall section.

Running 195HR70x14's that are pretty close to the original wheels/tires in diameter...

If you measure from the bottom of the rocker-panel, where the half circle is cut out to indicate the front jacking point - you should have 8.5 inches. At the back of the rocker-panel, measured where the dog-leg meets the rocker - you should have 8.5 inches.

If you do have the measurements above - and you measure the front wheel arch - the part of the innermost semicircle closest to the top of the tire - you should have 26 5/8's inches. On the rear wheel arch - you should have 26 1/2...

As you can see - the 240-Z's had plenty of ground clearance to begin with...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

HI Steve (everyone)

As per the earlier discussions on this subject - it would appear that the most common high pressure gas shocks - will in effect raise the rid height of a 240-Z between 1/2 to 3/4 inches.

We had both the OEM US Spec. Springs and the Euro Spec. Stage I springs reproduced this past year, with the help of Courtesy Nissan.

When people started reporting that their 240-Z's were sitting noticeably higher after installing the springs with new shocks... I had both the reproduction OEM U.S. Spec. and Euro Spec. springs measured for spring rate and free length by a professional racing shop (because they had the proper equipment to do it).... they were exactly the same as the NOS Nissan Springs used as the models.

That same shop reported that when they measured the gas pressure shocks - they found that the shocks off loaded "about " 100 lbs from the springs. (I'd have to go back and look up the exact amounts). Just how long the newer gas pressure shocks will hold that rate, once they are in use is still to be determined.

A couple of the people that have installed the Euro Spec Springs, simply cut a coil and half off them prior to installation - and they report that that the ride height of their Z's came out close to stock. The ride and handling were much improved. (of course you'd expect that with new springs and shocks compared to 30+ year old units).

The set up's on my cars - are all older design spec.'s - and no longer available today. I have Bilstein Gas Shocks on my Blue 72 - I installed them around 1975 and they are still the best shocks I've ever had on 240-Z, that was used for both street and track.

On the White 72 that I use mostly for longer road trips (GT use) - I have stock springs and the older gas pressure KYB's from about three years ago. They provide a nice "stock" feel. This car only has about 73K miles on it now - rides/drives like a new 240-Z. The older KYB's didn't see to have the "lift effect" that the newer one's do.

Of course the BRE Baja Z had the Nissan Competition adjustable coil-overs, with gas pressure shocks. It sits about 2 1/2 inches higher than stock, and can be lowered to about 1/2 lower than stock.

I think that today - if I were looking for a performance oriented setup for use both on the street and track.... I'd go with adjustable coil-overs. They offer the advantages of having many different spring rates available, adjustable ride height and more clearance for wider wheels/tires. The disadvantage is of course cost and the amount of work required.

It would seem that our selection of more or less "stock" shock replacements is very limited at this point. But the Euro Spec. Springs do offer a bit firmer ride/handling, without being "bone jarring" - if that's what you want. Cutting a coil and half off their free length prior to installation with the newer higher gas pressure shocks is reported to be a pretty good compromise all things considered.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Forgive me, but at the risk of sounding like a dumbass I feel compelled to ask this question:

I have only recently become aware of the ride-height difference woes that can affect Z-owners when replacing shocks/springs. However, I only see this issue mentioned in the context of 240Z's. One is then led to assume that this is something that does not plague 260s or 280s.

Am I correct in this assumption?

I have just installed Courtesy Nissan OEM springs all around and measure...9 inches across rocker panel to ground.....27 1/4 inches to front wheel arch ..and 26 3/4 inches to rear wheel arch. I am running 205/70R14. I put in Tokico Illuminas in rear and KYBs in front. The older pic is with the original (to my knowledge) springs and struts.

P.S. Hi Carl B. , we chatted at the convention in Syracuse. You thought that I might have one of the last production early Z cars. My vin# is HLS3019867. 1/71 production date. I dont know if you ever looked into it, but it would be cool to know.

post-1637-14150797781158_thumb.jpg

post-1637-1415079778137_thumb.jpg

post-1637-14150797781998_thumb.jpg

FWIW, On my stock '73 Z w/ 20+yr. old Michelin XZX 185 SR 14 tires on 14X6 5-slot aluminum wheels, stock springs, KYB GR-2 struts(5/06 install), urethane bushings in front(haven't got around to the rear yet) the measurements are:Left side...rear ww...25 1/2", front ww...27 1/4", rear jack point...7 1/2"...front jp...7 3/4". Right side...rear ww...25 3/4"...front ww...

27", rear jp...7 1/2"...front jp...8". Rear bumper...17", front bumper...18 3/4".

Hmmm, 1/4" lower on the left side(w/ the exception of the fww)...driver's big butt? Also the KYBs raised the car 3/4".

Cheers, Mike

Just went and measured. I put the Suspension Techniques, and left the struts which were replaced just before the car sat for 10 years. Not sure of the brand, probably KYB. Anyway riding on 205/60 r14 the car sits 25.5 ground to top front fender well and 24 for the rear, from ground to bottom of front rocker, 7 inches; and 6.5 for the rear. The ride is good, just a little stiff(also have Poly all around), sometimes it bottoms out on big bumps