IGNORED

'70 Rust-Free Arizona Z Going Cheap!

I concur that gaining proper title is possible even though none exists at the moment. Since it is the subject of an estate, I would recommend appropriate bill of sale.

Whomever buys this piece - please contact me. There is quite a bit of interest here in Florida for parts. Even the body shell.

I understand these folks can get the title for any car 1987 or older....No previous paperwork required.....Might help you guys/gals out some if you decide to JUMP ALL OVER THIS ONE.....

Classic's

Phone #888-870-8071

webdawg1

Talk about penny-pinching cheapskates! 4 bids: $1,00, $1.04, $2.10 and the high bid of $2.35 with just over 3 hours remaining at the time of this post! You would think it's some little kids bidding on a toy car! This seller must be shaking his head in disbelief! :rolleyes:

Well, I just went out to look at this car, and will give my impressions for anyone interested in bidding.

The car is a numbers matching car, engine # L24-007913 and vin# hls30-04880. The head is an E-88. The passenger side floor is rusted through. It looks like the A/C evaporator, with a lot of water staining, caused the floor rust. The driver side floor looked to be pretty solid. The frame rails in the engine compartment looked to be solid. Unable to look under car as it is sitting on the frame. There is minor rust bubbling in a spot on the lower front corner of the passengers door, and on the rocker panel just in front of this door. The exhaust system appears to be original. The car looked to have been sitting in the desert for quite a long time with everything covered by pack rat nests and droppings. The interior has turned to dust althought it appeared to be totally original except for an upgraded radio. Glass is all original except for the windshield. bumpers look good but have dents and bends not visible in pictures. The tail lights are the early plastic castings but are somewhat milking from sun exposure.

My overall impression is that this car is pretty original with no signs of modification anywhere except the radio.

The location is a real challenge to get to with about 6 miles of rutted dirt roads.

Hope this gives somewhat of a picture in a nut shell.

I was going to bid but the thought of spending $400 on fuel and 16 hours of driving to pick this car up convinced me otherwise. It would probably be a $1,000 parts car once I got it back to the shop.

I bet it sells for about $425.

Nice prediction John...it ended up selling for $417

I bid on it and the seller sent me a pic of the inside. The seatbelt was rusted and the carpet was removed and it looked like the floor pan was rusted. There was also rust on the door sill. Couldn't really tell how bad from the pic, but it was definitely not 'rust free'.

Hi All,

I'm the luck winner of this auction. I inspected the car this morning and evaluated the rust condition.

Like AZ 240Z posted earlier, the car is pretty original/rust-free and should make a good restoration project. I spent about an hour looking it over and used an o-ring pick and a flat screw-driver to poke everywhere I could to determine where rust was. I was satisfied that what rust existed could easily be welded/repaired. Honestly, I was pretty pleased with the condition of the car. I also removed everything from the rear of the car to inspect the spare-tire well and found two scorpions but no rust.

The car is located in a remote area, about 20 miles north of Phoenix. The seller has quite a collection on his 5.5 acres of land to include a forklift that I hope we can use to move the car out. He also has a BMW 320i and a Merkur, not to mention several other vehicles.

The seller claims the car has been sitting for 3 - 5 years in the spot it's in now and has no title or any other documentation for the car. I stopped at DMV on the way back to Phoenix to get some advice on getting a title. The car wasn't in the DMV system but the Clerk claimed I could get a Bonded Title as long as the Seller gives me Power of Attorney on the car. The Seller explained he would cooperate any way he could.

My plans for the 240 right now is to park it in a friends shop. If I can get a title, I'll bring it home and start working on it. If not, sadly I'll be parting the car out and will post that decision here. I just finished my 1978 Black Pearl 280Z, (another Arizona desert survivor), I'm going to create a post in the Body/Paint section, and post some pictures of that car.

Have fun everybody!

• Like 1

BD280Z,

Congratulations on winning the auction! As you read through this thread, a number of us were all hoping that someone like you would win the auction and restore this sub-5000 Series I with its matching engine. I hope that you are able to get that all-important title for this car and join a select few that own one of the first 5000 HLS30's. Please keep us updated on the progress and post pics when you can. As you can see by the numbers of posts and views on this thread, your car has had a lot of member interest! :classic:

• Like 1