IGNORED

Bad news...

z_pyro

Your uncle wants to get rid of a car quickly. You feel that that car is going to be more roadworthy than the Z, yet you are obviously torn in the thought of getting "rid" of the Z.

Ok, combine all, put into the thought blender and what about this idea:

Approach your local bank for a signature loan that your uncle co-signs. Borrow $2000 and put up the titles to BOTH the Caprice AND the Z as collateral (presuming the Z is paid for). Keep the Z and work on it as you are able to. Make your payments to the bank and buy the Caprice.

You'll accomplish several things this way.

1. You'll establish sound credit. Trust me you'll need this later.

2. You get a more reliable car in the Caprice and can now get to work, school and the parts store to get parts for the Z.

3. You get to KEEP the Z and as you fix it and learn from it, it will accrue in value. Right now, if it has problems it will be hard for you to get $2k for it.

4. Eventually once the Z is fixed and running well, you could sell the Caprice and use whatever you get for it to final the Z to your hearts content.

Is there a sacrifice involved? Yes, but There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch! TANSTAAFL!

Welcome to life as an adult.

No doubt.....

I don't have much experience with the Caprice, but, is that really a car that will keep you on the road?

Here's my .02. If the Z option is totally out of the picture, then you have MANY cars to choose from. Don't just limit your options to the Caprice because your uncle wants to sell it to you. I don't know what the circumstances are around that Caprice, but, I can see two possibilities:

1- Uncle wants to get rid of it because it's taking up room at his house. The car is a POS and he can't sell it. So, he sells it to family.

2- The car is in good condition and he's doing you a favor by selling it to you cheap. And, the car will be a good daily driver.

I would evaluate the circumstances involved and take a look at the big picture. I drove a Plymouth Scamp while I was in High School and just loved the reliability of that car (sorta like a Dodge Dart). It wasn't the greatest car, but, it was cheap and reliable. The Z sat in the garage while I saved my dollars to work on it.

So, I think we are all trying to help you out (because you are a fellow Z owner) like we would our own family. I think we are probably trying to figure out, "Why a Caprice?" rather than not getting rid of the Z. And, with the latest message by Escanlon, we are also trying to give you the best of both worlds.

he doesn't want to get rid of the car quickly. I NEED a car quickly. The car isn't a POS, my dad has done quite a bit for him (as in donating a kidney), so he should sell the car to us for pretty cheap. I'll see what my dad thinks about escanlons' suggestion.

To tell the truth, I'm really not ready for a resoration project. I just need a reliable car, and I'd like to keep my paychecks to spend on stuff I've always wanted. The car would be better in someone else's driveway, someone who can do what needs to be done

This changes everything.. .Your dad donated his kidney to your uncle and now he wants to sell you his car?

He should give you the friggin car in my opinion!

and fill it up with super for at least a year. give me his number I am going to call him and tell him what I think.

This is turning into a soap opera. I could make a sitcom with this material. this is really great stuff.

Like Seinfeld...only with the trials and tribulations of car ownership.

I've had enough..

This changes everything.. .Your dad donated his kidney to your uncle and now he wants to sell you his car?

He should give you the friggin car in my opinion!

and fill it up with super for at least a year. give me his number I am going to call him and tell him what I think.

Ya, no doubt. That way you can keep the Z as well.

The donated kidney is neither your card to play, nor can you accrue any kind of benefit from that without coming off as a leeching opportunistic scoundrel.

Donating the kidney was your DAD'S idea. HE chose to give the kidney, YOU did NOT have any part of that decision making process, and also would not and could not have affected the decision. If you delude yourself into thinking you could have, or that you deserve something for that, you're wrong.

I'll guarantee that if you bring it up to your Uncle in any manner, fashion, or form, he'll shut you down faster than a trap door spider with a bug. Simply put, it's none of your concern, nor your business.

As far as what he SHOULD do because of that kidney donation? Again, that's between him and your Dad.

Sorry, but there are no easy answers in life; there are lots of compromises; and sometimes what you want and what you get aren't in the same arena.

k, this my dad had a bankruptcy a bit ago, so the bank wont give us anything.

I need to sell the car so i can get a running car. I have a license, so now all i need is transportation. anyone got a cheap car to trade/sell?