IGNORED

Warning! - WIAT can strike you

Victor Laury

I was just going to replace the right wheel well arch and paint mine. I now have more money in parts than I paid for this car in the 70's.

I was bit by if you don't have time to do it right when will you ever have time to do it over bug. It is very closely related to the other two we are talking about.

I like Beandip and Escalon say to the new guys make it safe and drive it. Then decide what to do with it. Having owned this one over thirty years made that an easy decision for me. Plus the complete backing from my wife really helps.

I am infected bad! I knew I needed to replace the bushings and shocks so I thought IMAW go ahead and replace the springs WIAT. Since I had to take off the transverse links to replace the bushings, I thought IMAW paint them too. And since all that would look too pretty when done IMAW go ahead and paint the rear link crossmember and supports. Once those came off I figured IMAW drop the diff, moustache bar and front diff mount and paint those. Since I have to paint the half-shafts IMAW replace the u-joints WIAT. Since I went that far IMAW go ahead and pack the wheel bearings. Because I have all the struts off, IMAW rebuild and paint the calipers. Because I decided to do that, I better rebuild rear wheel cylinders. And since I seem to be on the road of rebuilding the brake system, IMAW replace the rubber brake hoses with braided lines. Since I'm going this far IMAW rebuild the MC and refresh all the brake hard lines. And since I am refreshing all the brake hard lines IMAW do the fuel lines too. Due ot the fact that I'm refreshing the brake and fuel hard lines, IMAW refresh the clutch hard lines too. And finally, since I am refreshing all the other hydraulic systems, IMAW replace the clutch hose and rebuild the slave cylinder. During all that I managed to swap out the old dizzy for '81 dizzy and WIAT I cleaned up the engine compartment by removing all the smog related components I could. Did I mention that WIAT I spent a $hi7load of $$$?

.... This is why I tell new Bs to drive the car for a while and do the safety things first and enjoy the ride befor diveing in on a redo.

umm, I drove it like 4 miles from the mechanic to home after I got it running ... does that count? :rolleyes:

At least every once in a while I will start her up to hear the car purr ... one nice advantage to keeping the engine in tact while doing the work. Also handy for moving it around.

This isn't my first project car, but about the fourth. I typically do most of the mechanical first, IOW, get it drivable. Then I tear it all apart the second time to make it nice. So I guess I do the "make it safe" first thing too.

Vic, how did I catch it from you way up here in Oregon. Was just going to change the wife's struts and springs in back before Thanskgiving. Next thing I know, WIAT, she's getting pretty upset asking for her car back for Christmas. Ah! a cheap Christmas you say, well after new rear breaks, wheel bearings,, wheel cylinders, stub axels, seals, companion flanges, shot blasted and POR 15 on the transverse links, strut housings, front diff mount, new bushings, it was a little more time and money than planned. BTW, she got it back the 2nd week of January! Vic, it must be all your fault. LOL!

Sounds like we all have been bit at one time or another. Good thread!

• 6 months later...

Bought a California silver '77 this spring with no rust, but it had been crunched on the passenger door.

Insurance wouldn't cover it in that condition, so I bought a new door from Oregon, got it put on and painted.

While I was at it.....

Had the torn seats restored nicely, ripped out all the carpet, new dash cap...

While I was at it.... might as well put in sound and heat insulation, detail the engine, wrap a new leather cover on the steering wheel, replace the shift boots, fix the brakes, fix the loose shift linkage......

So a few thousand later and it still doesn't have a license plate, and this is with a car with, I swear, no rust issues.....

But it's all good and should be on the road, looking spiffy, next week.

But while I am at it.......

Vic, how did I catch it from you way up here in Oregon.

Sounds like we all have been bit at one time or another. Good thread!

The diseases have infected all of us. I don't think the diseases are limited to Z owners, though. My father was infected by a particularly strong strand from MG ownership, just like others on this site.

As far as I can tell, there seems to be some sort of mold (or a similar self replicating pathogen) in the driver seat that causes addiction. While there may be some in the passenger seat, it is of a lesser potency, explaining why spouses have a lower tolerance for spending (higher tolerance against infection/addiction) on Z restoration/maintainence items.

This mold gets stronger with age, explaining why new car owners generally don't display the WIAI and IMAW symptoms.

There are support groups for those affected, though. This site, and sites dedicated to other makes, should be considered therapy.

Do not fret, you are not alone. Car shows, swap meets and boneyards attract the infected.

I realise that there is no cure for this disease (addiction), I can live with that. Besides, there are worse things to be addicted to.

david

Unfortunetly almost every project I tackle around the house or on the car is plagued with WIAT. Typical explanations are;

1.I will want to do that eventually anyway

2.It will need to done soon anyway

3. What's another hundred bucks

4. That old part doesn't look right next to that refurbished part

5. it would be safer

My car only needed a good valve job to keep it on the road but it looks like this now

post-7622-14150798128444_thumb.jpg