IGNORED

Zcar Microfiche CD (do I need one?)

MarkDixon

I was wondering if anyone has bought this Microfiche CD and if it is something that would be benificial to me.

I have a 1971 240z and I doubt many parts with original Nissan part numbers will be available to me through my local dealer.

If I am wrong please let me know. Also, if I am wrong, are the original Nissan parts going to be cheaper than buying from MSA or BV like them?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Mark

The microfiche CD has come in very handy for me. I have used it when buying parts on the secondary market, to sort out such things as suspension components when trying to reassemble and others. For the money it has paid for itself many times over.

Bryan

It will help you out quite a bit...works pretty good when someone has some NOS parts listed on ebay. Say they have the part(s) still in the bag and the bag has the P/N on it, but they (The seller) are not quite sure what model years it will fit on...etc (I.E. - 240, 260, 280, 300zx) I see stuff like that all the time on ebay....Say for example you were looking for a check valve for your brake system. (See example listed) How would you know if it's correct for your model year if you did not have the microfiche CD...Also you can use it to price parts using the following url: http://www.nissanparts.cc

That's if you have the P/N.....

webdawg1

Check Valve (Brake).bmp

No real clear answer to your question. It all depends....I have two different parts books and the CD. The CD is most like the parts book I have that is a print of the micro-fische. There is a lot of information in those books and for me, restoring two old cars, it is all quite helpful. The diagrams are very informative, showing how the car is correctly assembled. Even nut and bolt sizes are shown. The books also help me keep track of the different part iterations and help me determine accuracy for my restoration. You would be surprised what is still available from Nissan. Knowing the part number is crucial. Or for that matter, what the last know retail price was of the part when it was available. (That is good for making parts deals and knowing when you are getting screwed)

Then, there is the guru aspect of holding such information. I can't tell you how many discussions I have been in with a certain part in question. What went on what cars stuff. But that's me and what I get out of this sport.

If you are going to work on your own car, restore it, or rice it, a parts reference is required. Same goes for a Service manual. Frankly, the seriouser you are about your Z, the more reference info you'll have.

But the best reason is, The Club Sells Them! Buy one. You'll be glad you did.

26th gives great advice-the club cd is somethign I use very often.

Some of the guys at the Nissan Parts counter aren't too careful when they are asked to find somethignfor a 240-actually had one tell me I needed to go to the Volvo dealer...

If you have the CD, you can browse to your hearts content, and be sure (in most cases) that the part number you ask for actually represents the part you need.

Will

I have had the dealer tell me that the part was no longer available , I looked up the part on the cd and then gave him the part number . I received the part in a couple of days. Yes it is worth the money . Gary

I've had exactly the same experience Gary. Late seventies ;Went to a dealers parts warehouse, and got laughed at (literally!) when asking after parts for a low volume performance model. Eventually got hold of a parts book and...waddaya know!? " Geez mate , I never knew we had any of these left!!" or " Ohh OK,... so THAT'S what these bits are for!" One trip they found a head casting still in it's cardboard box that was listed NLA years before. It happened to be beside or under whatever they were checking for me, and thought I might be interested :) (ooh yea!)....So yeah, if you can ask by part number rather than part description, it can open up a whole new world!!

Jim.

Thanks guys.

I believe you have answered my question. I will buy one today.

I do have a few things on my Z I would like to know their purpose. I have a few wires hanging around under the dash that I wonder what they connect to, and If they were connected would my wipers work. I have an A/C unit in my car and thought it was just adding weight because it didn't work. One day I was pulling the broken radio out and saw a black wire hanging back there. I touched the wire to metal and what do you know... I have a good working A/C.

And yes, I have bought a part off of Ebay that I thought I would never see again, only to find out I just paid twice what I could have bought if for somewhere else.

Again, thanks for the input.

Mark