IGNORED

'73 240z various questions

mrcow

I am a long time lurker and finally i might get a Z.

on ebay there is currently a 73 240z in san antonio. The car seems pretty solid except for two things; the car won’t rev over 4000 rpms, and the lack of pictures of any rust or the interior.

The owner stated the floor pans need to be replaced but there are no pictures of it or any other rust spots on the vehicle. i know there has to be more rust on the car. I emailed the guy with several questions and a request for more pictures.

my main question though, is why would the car not rev over 4000 rpms. He says "due to a fault in the ignition system the engine will not rev above 4000 rpms." I am definitely new to restoring cars and i see this project as my first major learning experience. So, that is why i come to yall. What would yall diagnose the problem as?

Finally, he says the 73 carb and intake was replaced with a 72 twin su. I know the 73 model had reduced performance compared to the earlier models, but would this car having the 72 round tops make the 73 more or less equivalent to the earlier cars in performance? i know the 73 is still heavier but are there any other major differences?

i am starting to really question this car.

He said the tranny is good but the linkage is sloppy. i asked for a history of the car and got nothing the new springs are actually 10 years old. so i am guessing the rebuilt engine is 10 years old as well, which would explain why it looks so dirty. he wont allow anyone to see the car in person and basically said he wouldnt take any more pictures of the car because the ones on ebay are "sufficient". he also said there is virtual no rust on the car (other then the floor pans). i find it hard to believe there isnt any other rust on the car if the floor pans need to be replaced.

i am starting to really question this car.

He said the tranny is good but the linkage is sloppy. i asked for a history of the car and got nothing the new springs are actually 10 years old. so i am guessing the rebuilt engine is 10 years old as well, which would explain why it looks so dirty. he wont allow anyone to see the car in person and basically said he wouldnt take any more pictures of the car because the ones on ebay are "sufficient". he also said there is virtual no rust on the car (other then the floor pans). i find it hard to believe there isnt any other rust on the car if the floor pans need to be replaced.

If you are looking for advise , I say to treat this deal like it has herpies ! I wouldent touch this with your 10' pole. There are too many good cars and willing sellers to mess with this. Gary

"he wont allow anyone to see the car in person and basically said he wouldnt take

any more pictures of the car because the ones on ebay are "sufficient"."

I f he doesn't understand you are the one with the money and he is the one with the car, let him keep the car, and you keep the money for someone who understands...

Will

Mrcow

Hang in there. You'll find the car thats "right" for you. Just don't get too anxious and keep learning all you can about these cars. Information is your best defense against fraud. You certainly made the right choice in asking questions here and taking everyones advice! If feel this is the best place to learn all there is to know about the car of your dreams. :cheeky:

Have patience and you'll be fine.