IGNORED

Scarab Research

Mike

Although it may belong on the hybridz website, I would say that a scarab also has its place on this website. As a scarab it is historically important in the progression of Z cars, and they are coming of age as well! Im not sure how everybody else views it, but I feel like it follows the creeds of our club Pride, Performance, and preservation. We know you have pride, the performance is undoubtedly there, and you are preserving a vehicle that is important in Z history. Just trying to help make the scarab owners more comfortable

O yeah, and that gain of thirty pounds could be gained by just having a fatter driver! LOL

That price is quite steep! If anyone here gets it and is willing to share a scan of it in pdf format please let me know as I would be glad to host it on my site along with all the other Scarab info I have.

I've dealt with Walter over the years. He's pretty fair with his prices. He also know the rarity of some items in the auto literature business. This package would surely be classified as rare. Considering what is included, it's still probably a fair price. I don't have any real interest in it but to someone into Scarabs, it seem like a must have.

Since we have a Scarab forum I think we can safely say that Scarabs belong here. There has been long arguments about JTR and other conversions. Study, study, study BEFORE you do anything. Scarab was not a conversion in the same way as JTR, but a company that converted Z's and sold parts for DIY. The central purpose of the JTR conversion was to get a certain transmission in the proper location in the Z. All else followed.

• 4 months later...

Agreed, that's a nice car. Can you post the pictures to our gallery? The linked pictures work fine, but, they might vanish in 1-2 years when that website changes. If we have them in our gallery, they will always be here.

dsommer, is that your car?

New to the site. I have owned my 1971 240Z since 1989. 3 years ago

I had the car professionally painted a porsh red. I haven't driven it for 2 years because the floor boards are starting to rust and don't have the money

to stick in it at this time. I want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Not sure if I should part the car out or sell it as is. I need someone to advise me on what to do! Appreciate any response.

New to the site. I have owned my 1971 240Z since 1989. 3 years ago

I had the car professionally painted a porsh red. I haven't driven it for 2 years because the floor boards are starting to rust and don't have the money

to stick in it at this time. I want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Not sure if I should part the car out or sell it as is. I need someone to advise me on what to do! Appreciate any response.

Is your car a Scarab conversion?

-- MIke

• 4 weeks later...

Yes the white Scarab above is mine #154. As far as the pics if somebody would like to copy them to the gallery please feel free. The link to the pics shouldn't go away but yeah you never know.

So far I've replaced the rear suspension with Tokico Illuminas (adjustables) and Tokico springs. The Scarab springs were sprungs, thus the rear tire was rubbing pretty bad.

Since my last post I've aquired the original 14" BBS wheels, gold centers. I'm thinking about refinishing them with out gold though. I can't decide between; black, white or silver. Just not gold ugh, looks u-g-l-y.

The last owner is trying to track down the original owner, seems the original Scarab paperwork has been misplaced (shoot).

The car did not come with the Scarab valve covers or breather, the window stickers are gone, looks as if some of the glass has been replaced when the car was painted.

Still to do is replace the front suspension, ceramic coat the headers and button up an oil leak here and there.

The car has a Bow Tie block (thanks Craig S!!!) angle plug heads. I'm eager to pull the oilpan off and check for a few "tweaks" that may or may not be present according to Craig. (silently praying for that 302 forged crank;)

I'll try to take some more pictures soon, I got a new camera when the twins (boys!) were born (12-08-05), so you can figure where all my time is currently being spent. Not in the garage working on cars but rather feeding, burping and changing diapers.

The car the twins and the wife will all be attending Branson Zfest next month, I'm really excited to show this piece of Z car history to the folks that will be in attendance.

goto

bransonzfest.com for more info.

David

• 8 months later...

Hello all. I have heard that Brian Morrow died in a Scarab in the early 80's...might explain why he disappeared. Also, not all factory cars had an id palte in drivers door jam. I owned one with ALL documanetation and it was built without this plate. Also, there is a hacked up Scarab for sale on San Jose Craigs list that was a turbo car originally. They want $3500 for it but it is a mess...plus it was one of the few 2+2 cars built.

• 3 weeks later...