Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Scarab Research

Hi all,

I am looking for anything to do with the SCARAB modifications to the Z. They had quite a following in the 70's and I want to collect as much information as possible. A few years ago I saw a very nice Scarab conversion at the Motorsport Nationals. I'll find a link to the images and post them in this thread.

But, if you have collected any data on this please post it. I would like to see original ads for the Scarab cars as well as any parts or specifications. Oh, and pictures!!!

thanks to alan and rosanne for a great collection of z info.

scarab stuff here

Scarab

Tom.

You beat me to posting this like. Thank you Tommo.

thanks to alan and rosanne for a great collection of z info.

Awesome stuff!! Any idea how I can get ahold of them? I'd love to start a section on our club to host this for them... I'd hate to see it get lost over the years like most private web pages ...

-- Mike

Awesome stuff!! Any idea how I can get ahold of them? I'd love to start a section on our club to host this for them... I'd hate to see it get lost over the years like most private web pages ...

-- Mike

PM member name "texasz" and you will have gotten ahold of them.

Okay, here's what I've found so far on that website. A list of features commonly provided with a Scarab conversion:

Standard Features:

Drivetrain:

• Balanced, blueprinted Chevy 350 (300hp) smallblock with electronic ignition

• specially designed cross-flow radiator

• high-performance water pump

• flex fan to cool the 22-quart-capacity system

• Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed with special Hurst competition shifter linkage

• complete exhaust system with a pair of glasspack mufflers

Suspension:

• Koni adjustable shocks

• front and rear sway bars

• Teflon compression strut bushings

• high-performance rack and pinion mounts

• and springs by Scarab

• torque control arm, it is essentially a quarter-inch-thick piece of steel bent into a U shape, with about 3/8” of rubber laid in the bottom of the U. Scarab installed it from beneath the front differential mount, bolting front and back into holes tapping into the metal framework of the differential insulator. The torque control arm minimized the forces on the mount and on the front end of the differential itself without totally eliminating the cushioning effects of the insulator like a solid mount would.

Brakes:

• Disc/Drum (power) with HP pads/shoes or optional FIA 4 piston calipers

• Later cars could be had with four-wheel discs, and those with drum brakes could have optional finned cast-iron drums

Interior:

• Door panels are soundproofed and covered in glove soft, hand-sewn Scottish leather

• Momo leather steering wheel

• Seats were re-padded and covered in Scottish leather and velour to match the door panels and console lid

• Deep pile carpeting

Exterior:

• Trans-Am front air dam, rear Trans-Am spoiler

• Twin exterior rally mirrors

• louvered hood and access panels

• Scarab logo with associated emblems

• high-speed driving lights

• All exterior Datsun badging was removed from the Scarab factory cars: the low production volume of these vehicles was highlighted by Scarab factory-specific badging that included raised Scarab lettering to replace the Datsun front fender nameplates, and Scarab Performance black-and-gold rectangular decals in the lower left corner of the windshield and the lower right corner of the rear hatch glass

heavy gold medallions containing the Egyptian Scarab Beetle emblem

Optional Features:

• Drivetrain:

• 350 SB (325 or 370hp naturally aspirated)

• Turbo (425hp)

• automatic transmission

• Limited slip differentials in R-180 or R-200

Brakes:

• four-wheel discs

• finned cast-iron drums

Interior:

• Recaro contoured, reclining bucket seats with headrests

• 12 coats of hand-rubbed lacquer

Exterior:

• whale tail

• reverse scoop hood with side fender louvers

• rectangular headlights

• flared fender packages

• rear window shade

Wheels:

• Cromodora Turbina wheels

• Campagnolo or Appliance Wheels

• BBS wheels

• Pirelli CN36 tires

Yes, I'm watching and reading. Mike, the best person to contact on all things Scarab is Bruce Bladon. He has a link on Carl Becks site. Bruce can provide original and genuine documentation. Remember that alot of the Scarabs people see are after market cars NOT produced by Brian Morrow.

The other engine option was the 327 which is what I would like.

I'm as passionate about the true Scarab as some members here are about Fairladys and early VINs.

Before I die, I will own one!

Vicky

-- Mike

Yes Mike I do happen to know how to get ahold of the owner of that site... ROFL

Bambi is right, it's my site! I do not have any intention of shutting it down...ever. It is my site, on my server, in my home, so there are no bandwidth limitations nor issues of the hosting company going under or anything like that (I have many pages on my server including my family site, photo gallery, etc so you can see why it's not going anywhere). However, if you see anything there that you want please feel free to take it or if you prefer just ask and you can have copies. ALSO, if anyone on this site has anything that they'd like to add please contact me as I'd love to increase the amount of knowledge and history on that Z page!!!

Sorry, I was trying to just attach the picture on my post. What did I do wrong?

Vicky

Sorry, I was trying to just attach the picture on my post. What did I do wrong?

The attachment shows up just fine. It looks like you attached a MS Word .DOC file with the image inside of that. If you attached a graphic file (.JPG, .GIF, etc) it would have shown up as a little thumbnail.

Anyway, thanks for the image! I like it!!

that list of options for the scarab was just that ... options ...

not every scarab built at the shop came with those items.

an old friend of mine's younger brother worked at the shop, wrenching on the scarabs. the shop was in campbell, about 3 miles from my house at the time.

another old friend, worked there for a while and had what looked like a bone stock z, and it had a pumped 350 and 4 speed. i'm wanting to say that Pat's scarab z was a 280.

mine is a scarab kit z ... thus, originally, there were no modifications to the body. looked like any other '72 240z, running 280z hub caps ...

as far as i know, you could get your scarab anyway you wanted, depending on how deep your wallet was.

a basic V8 swap, with auto or 4 speed, 4 core radiator no other mods.

deep wallet, your dreams just might become reality.

i was working on the street where my buddys parents lived back in the early 70's, looks like they've moved. last i heard, my friend was living in livermore ... oddly enough, where JTR is ...

my buddy's bro's name is Jonathan Sievert. his claim to fame, he was test driving a scarab, drove into the shop garage a little on the hot side, supposedly a bad master cylinder, and he racked up at least 3 customer's cars. minor body damage, fenders, bumpers, hoods, think he said he was going about 10 mph at impact. shoved one car into another.

Greetings all I just purchased a 280Z and want to do a V-8 conversion. I live in the Dallas Texas area. Anybody out there know of any companies that do that now like scarab used to?

Greetings all I just purchased a 280Z and want to do a V-8 conversion. I live in the Dallas Texas area. Anybody out there know of any companies that do that now like scarab used to?

No, I don't know of a place. But, the best place to ask a question like that is at www.Hybridz.org . The guys over there are heavily into engine swaps and major modifications like that.

i think the msa kit is closest to the scarab kit.

why would you want to use the scarab style kit ?

it was good in day ... and still works

however, there are now better ways of doing things

if i were to build one from scratch, i'd start with the JTR kit ...

john in texas also makes a decent kit ... though the guys in the know, prefer the jtr kit.

hooker header's kit is almost an exact duplicate of the scarab kit.

http://www.johnscars.com/zcar.htm

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

you can get a V8 into a 240z, the avg price is around 3500. that's using a good junk yard engine and tranny, and modest modifications. i have heard of it being done for under 2 grand, but that was with very good luck gathering parts.

the scarab kit puts the chevy engine distributor about 2 inches out from the fire wall ... the other kits put the engine closer to the firewall.

the reason the engine is set back closer to the firewall, per Mike at JTR, is it allows the shifter for the camaro 5 speed transmission to come out close to where the stock shifter on the 240z came out of the console.

some people claim it changes the front to rear weight bias, and it may. the engine also sets lower, changing the center of gravity, and it may. i know it places the headers and oil pan closer to the road, but no closer than in a stock camaro or corvette. one thing, it does is allow one to use a wider choice of aircleaners and intake manifolds. the hood can close without danger of smacking the rod holding the air cleaner to the carb.

as cousin Carl suggested ... stop by hybridz.org ... they have a wealth of info on this subject. flamers are shoot down as soon as they start something. it's a solid site on topic. jerks are ejected asap.

These are wonderful cars and photos, but you'd think they at least vacuum the floor before taking photos. :| One had a box sitting in the cargo area. It's like sending a model down the ramp with curler in her hair.

What ever happened to Brian Morrow?

I've heard many rumors about him and I really don't know which one to believe. I've heard that after the state of California shut him down, he just disappeared. Heard he was suffering from some sort of degenerative (sp?) disease. The one that's most likely is the gag order that I read about in some performance magazine. I think the gag order was for 20 years and imposed in 1985 so that means if he is still around, this would be the time for him to speak out about how he was railroaded by the air-pollution/emissions board in California.

Many Scarab owners are hoping he pops up somewhere to tell his story. I know I would be interested.

Vicky

If he still lives in California, he may be one of the Brian Morrows listed under the first 8, the next 3 under "Public Records" (2 of them might be, but they are probably too young, the 21 year old could be his son) or the others listed under "E-mail" at the link below: (There is also an option to do a nationwide search).

http://www.switchboard.com/bin/cgiQA.dll?MEM=1&LNK=3%3A154&QV=822CAF75B81943DD8B35A4691EA1D1D0l02A33065925A0D4325313203O01A33165925A0D4327313203O07A30E65925A0D4320313203O03A32F3D925A0D43AF303203&SR=&F=brian&L=morrow&T=&S=ca&Z=&image1.x=27&image1.y=7

I didn't know he was shut down. What happened? I don't know why there are so many Z business in California. Why would anyone want to put up with California laws?