IGNORED

Windshield Removal

texasz

Hi AWC, welcome to the club. I don't think I've seen you here before and noticed you're in Austin! I am too. What part of town you in and what's your Z look like? Maybe I've seen you around...

Hi there. I work in Austin (where I was when I signed up for this board), out on 2222. I actually live up in Cedar Park.

No Z (YET), but I love these cars. My dad had an orange 240 growing up and I've been hooked ever since. I'm actually interested in #40 listed in the classifieds, but that is a lot of money for me for a project car.

I'm also leaning towards a 510 project car and much of the information I have found on this site that pertains to interior and exterior restoration will be very useful.

Even if I do the 510 first, I will have a 240Z someday. No question about that.

I've replace the windshields with the rubber gaskets many times and it is a very simple process.

Take your rearview mirror out and start by putting a tool, (plastic or wood) most automotive supply stores carry them, under the top corners of the inside of the windshield seal. Loosen the rubber moving across the center and then down the sides. Once you get the rubber loosened put slight pressure on the inside top center of the windshield (make sure the pressure is spread out like two open hands) and use your tool again to start at the center top of the windshield and move to one side an then the other while applying pressure. The winshield will start moving out as it does move down the sides and then back to the center top. Once it pops out at the top and sides get someone on each side (exterior) and lift it off of the bottom lip.

To install the windshield put the rubber seal on the glass turn it upside down and and spray silicone all around and on the inside lip of the rubber seal. Now take a stran of automotive electrical wire and put it down into the channel of the seal crossing it at the center bottom. Put the windshield in place on the bottom metal lip. Have someone push in and down on the windshield from the outside open flat hands and start pulling the wire to both sides evenly. Once you have the bottom of the inside seal over the bottom lip and bottom corners go outside and push down and in on both sides to seat the bottom of the seal inplace. Now from the inside start up both sides with pulling the wire out when you get to the top go outside and once again push, even pressure on both sides to seat the lower sides of the seal. Now go back inside and pull the resest of the wire out and the window will seal in place. Go around the inside of the seal with your tool to make sure the seal is in place.

:ermm: This is harder to put into words than to do. Out and in will take no more than a half hour or so. Once you've done it a few times you can do it by yourself but I would suggest help the first time. Rember no metal tools and even spread out pressure! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps. JLP

To install the windshield put the rubber seal on the glass turn it upside down and and spray silicone all around and on the inside lip of the rubber seal.

Just a quick clarification: it's very important to install the stainless trim in the seal before installing the windshield/seal back in the car. It's virtually impossible to do later.

Hi there. I work in Austin (where I was when I signed up for this board), out on 2222. I actually live up in Cedar Park.

No Z (YET), but I love these cars. My dad had an orange 240 growing up and I've been hooked ever since. I'm actually interested in #40 listed in the classifieds, but that is a lot of money for me for a project car.

I'm also leaning towards a 510 project car and much of the information I have found on this site that pertains to interior and exterior restoration will be very useful.

Even if I do the 510 first, I will have a 240Z someday. No question about that.

I live in Cedar Park also, near the High School. Hope you find a Z soon and can start enjoying it with the rest of us!!

• 3 months later...

The rubber gasket is all that's needed. If done properly it will not leak. Be sure all of your paint work is complete before you spray that silicone on anything. If more painting is to be done use some other rubber lube on the gasket. Many different brands on the market.

Very interesting.... you don't even need to seal the gasket to the glass? Maybe I'll give this a shot soon... I'm a little wary because when I reinstalled my sunroof, I used weatherstrip adhesive when I should have used silicon sealant, and my new (1 month cured) paint started to lift in 1/8th inch spots where the adhesive oozed out from under the sunroof gasket :-( There's no way in hell I'm going to try and repaint just part of my sunroof at this stage :-( I touched it up with clear for now and will try to find a bigger sunroof/sunroof cassette to try and cover up those spots. anyway, I digress :-\

-Ken

• 4 weeks later...

I just wrecked my windshield attempting to get it out this afternoon =( Did it as the FSM suggested, and cracked it to pieces. However, I did exactly as instructed in this post, as well, so I suppose it just wasn't meant to be. The good news is that the glass was fogged and previously scratched by running wipers without blades, so I suppose it isn't a total loss. Now that it's broken (in the upper left corner) and cracked, what is the best way to get it out? Tape trashbags inside the car and smash it to bits?

well my hatch glass broke, and i just through a tarp underneath it and kicked it all into the tarp... dragged it over to the trashbin and dumped the tarp in it, shaked it and i didnt ever ruin the tarp! dont use trashbags... they rip to easily. If you have an old ratty tarp use it... sorry to hear about the windshield.. i did the same damn thing trying to get my hatch glass out :cry: