IGNORED

Windshield Removal

texasz

I use a 5 foot piece of stainless steel high puond test/small cross section leader wire (Walmart) attatched at both ends to a 6" section of 1/2 pipe. Drill a hole in the middle-lengthwise-of the pipe, and loop the line through it to give you balanced handles on either end. Attatch one handle immediately, poke a hole through the weatherstrip at one corner, and insert the wire through the hole, then secure it to the other handle.

wrap the extra wire around on of the handles to keep the length comfortable while you cut the sides using a sawing motion between the handles. When it comes tooime to do the top and bottom, let some of the slack back out to lengthen the waire to keep it comfortable. Go slowly, and be very careful at the corners.

I have taken 12 windshields out this way, and it works well.

HarborFreight also had a tool for about $7 that will do the job without much drama, but not as comfortably.

Will

Way too complicated in my mind. A box cutter and about 15 minutes of your time and it's out. Plus you can save the trim for possible future use. Cut the trim out first with angled cuts from both sides. Then make deeper cuts at the edge of the glass all the way around the windshield. Keep at it. The corners are the worst part. Now place a cushion of some type on the cowl and push just enough from the inside to make the window move outward. This will let you see where the moulding needs to be cut more. Do the rest from the outside with a soft wedge between the window and the body pillar. make sure you wear gloves and have a place to put the windshield once you get it out.

Seventeen removed and more to follow.......give me 8 hours, a compressor, an engine hoist and I can strip a Z to it's frame. No body panels, no drivetrain, no suspension, no wires, no fuel or brake parts, no interior and no glass. Then they all get cleaned, tagged, and stored.

Alarms only protect your car when someone is near enough to hear it and call the Po-lice. If someone is near enough to hear the sound of gnosez' compressor, your car (or what's left of it) will still be protected. LOL (unless there is Krispy Kreme shop between the police and the location of your car)

Back in high school there was a guy who'd take orders for say a 327 or 454. His van had a portable engine hoist, jacks, and the all important "blue" wrench. In less than 15 minutes he and a buddy could remove the hood, hook up the hoist, cut all the connections and raise the engine/tranny out and into his van. Midnight auto parts supplier....

I learned at a garage that towed vehicles off the interstate and the owner would take possesion after 30 days if they hadn't paid their bill. We'd strip them for parts in less than 4 hours.

Give me another 2 hours and I will cut the frame into pieces I can lift myself for disposal at the scrapyard or for use later (good rear deck, etc.). I do this using one bay of my garage without a lift (just stands and 2 jacks) and no "blue" wrench.

Since I sell the parts, my time is uncompensated until they get sold, so speed is important. There are exceptions to the rule for special parts (uncracked dashes, radios, plastic interior pieces in better than just good shape, etc.)

Plus in the winter months my wife car has priority in the garage so I need to make it a fast process unless I want to wake up 2 hours early and warm her car up before she leaves. I know I was not thinking straight when I made that promise.....but she does let me keep a ton of parts stored away.

I have had a lot of windshields replaced over the years. Normally around here you just call a shop and they come and install it onsite.

Is that even possible with a Z car? Are there replacement windshields available? Or am I looking at replacing the windsheld like I have everything else on my car... by myself, and on my own?

:ermm:

I've never removed one myself, but can't it be done with a simple razor knife to cut the weatherseal? I can't remember for sure, but I think that's all they used when replacing my trucks windhshield at my workplace parking lot (mobile windshield repair).

I tried that and it didn't work. There must be a bunch of sealant in there holding it in.

I use a 5 foot piece of stainless steel high puond test/small cross section leader wire (Walmart) attatched at both ends to a 6" section of 1/2 pipe. Drill a hole in the middle-lengthwise-of the pipe, and loop the line through it to give you balanced handles on either end. Attatch one handle immediately, poke a hole through the weatherstrip at one corner, and insert the wire through the hole, then secure it to the other handle.

That's basically the tool I was looking for in the store but couldn't locate. Thanks on the lead on the type of wire to use, I wouldn't have known where to start looking for that.

.......give me 8 hours, a compressor, an engine hoist and I can strip a Z to it's frame. No body panels, no drivetrain, no suspension, no wires, no fuel or brake parts, no interior and no glass. Then they all get cleaned, tagged, and stored.

I wish you lived closer! I could have you stip down my parts car and I could learn some tips in the process.

That's a bit scary. And to think we spend money on car alarms.

Hi AWC, welcome to the club. I don't think I've seen you here before and noticed you're in Austin! I am too. What part of town you in and what's your Z look like? Maybe I've seen you around...