IGNORED

List of suitable parts from other makes

Originally posted by kmack

I'm currently running a 280ZX radiator ('82 to be specific, but they're all the same) in my 240Z. Only two mods were required.

Hey kmack, does that radiator hang down below the beam where the horns mount? Just curious as I almost did this conversion.

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, it hangs down by about 2-1/2". That's the down side. With a stock valance in place, you can see the bottom of the radiator and you have to be careful about not parking up close to concrete parking stops or curbs. If you have an airdam, it would hide the radiator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Carl working on his wipers today reminded me of a "suitable part from other makes" part on my car.

Western Star truck wiper washer pump. #62912-3401. Fits the stock resevoir and requires minor electrical mods. For those of you that arent concerned with originality this part has worked well for me.

Chris

post-5906-14150794287345_thumb.jpg

post-5906-14150794287576_thumb.jpg

Western Star truck wiper washer pump. #62912-3401. Fits the stock resevoir and requires minor electrical mods. For those of you that arent concerned with originality this part has worked well for me.

Chris

You can also get a Trico #11-601, which is labeled as a Honda replacement pump, it is exactly the same pump as the stock '70 - '73 windshield washer pump. The one exception is the connections, but if you have your old pump you'll see that the BLK wire (neg) has a FEMALE connector, and the Trico 11-601 has a MALE connector. It takes about 2 minutes to solder the correct type of connector onto the new pump.

(Thanks Chris, I've added your info to my database of useful information.)

Yes, it hangs down by about 2-1/2". That's the down side. With a stock valance in place, you can see the bottom of the radiator and you have to be careful about not parking up close to concrete parking stops or curbs.

Wish I had known this earlyer. I had to hunt down a new/ used drain plug because I snaped the old one in two. The other half was still in the radiator. This really sucked. :tapemouth:

Western Star truck wiper washer pump. #62912-3401. Fits the stock resevoir and requires minor electrical mods.

This is also assuming that your reservoir is still in good enough shape to handle prying the old pump out and squeezing a new one back in. I've been through 2 already where the plastic was too brittle and it crumbled in my hand! :dead:

This is also assuming that your reservoir is still in good enough shape to handle prying the old pump out and squeezing a new one back in. I've been through 2 already where the plastic was too brittle and it crumbled in my hand! :dead:

Presumably caused by the Texas heat? In cooler climes mine 'seem' to be OK after 30+years.

Presumably caused by the Texas heat? In cooler climes mine 'seem' to be OK after 30+years.

Yes, the "wonderful" Texas heat ( :stupid: ) can do strange things to plastic. From turning it into a fragile, brittle little piece of no longer usable car-art, to actually stretching it and causing longe hair-line cracks. It doesn't help that the reservoirs were made kind of thin to begin with.