IGNORED

List of suitable parts from other makes

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to develop some sort of definitive list of parts easily used from other makes of cars to upgrade perished or out of date Z systems (not including motors)

I have noticed a lot of mention with various mazda and honda parts, so if we coallate all this info in one spot I think it will be a very useful resource.

Items that spring to mind are:

Radiators

Air Conditioning Systems

Heater Assemblies

Blower motors

Power steering racks

Fuel tanks

Feel free to add more based on your own experience

Please try to be MAKE, MODEL and YEAR specific and include a short summary of what modifications if any are required.

Thanks guys.

THE LIST SO FAR:

Toyota Hilux Brake calipers (year?)

V8 Holden Statesman Radiator (year?) - Requires redrilling tabs, bottom hose is on opposite side

1984 Nissan Pintara Top Radiator hose interchangeable with lower 240Z hose. Light trimming required.

Datsun 1600 front door handles interchangeable. Exact likeness still in question.

Mack Truck 54mt314dp88 speedo cable for 240Z.

280ZX Radiator for 240Z/260Z. Use bottom mounting holes and redrill top mounting holes to ensure bonnet clearance. NOTE: hangs a bit lower than standard.

This is not meant to discourage you guys but....................This idea has been tossed around several times and...........

It is not as easy as it might sound. Without information as to the whole replacement process for each item mentioned, people can be mislead to think that these items are "plug and play" which is not always the case.

Various years of Z car have diferent electrical connectors in places like guages, relays, blower motors, wiper motors etc. For Toyota Calipers, trimming of dust sheilds is necessary, sometimes the wheels on a person's car do not have room for the calipers to fit properly, bridge tubes need to be tweaked to use these calipers as well.

What is considered a viable swap for one person is not for another person who doesn't have knowledge or skills to make the modifications that may be necessary.

My opinion is that Tech Articles on SPECIFIC swaps or upgrades with SPECIFIC information to the job at hand are far more valuable than a simple list of parts that "someone" says worked for them (without data on what was required to make it work), or something that an inexperienced person thinks will work.

Hate to have to put it this way, but remember, we are on the internet. There is no IQ test required to log on and spout off about anything. Experience is what separates the B.S. from the Nuggets of Gold.

Just my $.02

I Believe you can use a radiator out of a holden statesman and it will fit quite well (tank ports are in the right place etc). Not sure which model statesman, will try and get further details and post them.

yes, Cuong is using one of those, bottom outlet is on the opposite side I beleive and mounting tabs line up but need new holes drilled.

As far as viability of theis whole endevour is concerned, lets see where it goes. I think a certain level of intelligence is required for anything you do, perhaps if we stick to things that have actually been done and worked, it may be better?

Originally posted by drunkenmaster

As far as viability of theis whole endevour is concerned, lets see where it goes. I think a certain level of intelligence is required for anything you do, perhaps if we stick to things that have actually been done and worked, it may be better?

Agreed, It would also help if any mods required to effect the swap be stated. RHD, LHD, year, & model of car, Part Numbers etc are all bits of useful info. i.e. just saying "a camaro radiator will work" doesn't really help much. know what I mean? Details!

Bottom radiator hose for a 240 (the expensive one!) can be replaced with a 1984 Nissan Pintara top hose...you just need to cut a few inches off the length but otherwise the bends and diameter are perfect.

What year(s) Pintara? Any idea what a Pintara is called in the US?

I wonder why the 70-73 240Z lower hose is so expensive for you guys in OZ?

In the USA this hose is only $12.77 at Motorsport Auto. The 240Z lower hose is the cheapest lower Radiator hose of all Z's.

The 260Z lower hose is $15.06 and the 280Z lower hose is $15.95

All in USD, of course.