IGNORED

Should users log-in to read forums?

Mike

Should users log-in to read forums?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should users log-in to read forums?

• Yes, everyone should log in to use the site.
    • No, let people anonymously read the forums.
    • This is a difficult one.... sorry.

I had voted Yes, because I would like to "know" whose question I'm am responding to, but if as you said that is only possible on the Open forum, then let them read all they want, and make them register when they post to participate.

In essence, leave it the way it is.

I'd say let everyone have right to browse and read posts. However, if they want to use the search function, reply/create a post, or any other functions, then they need to be logged in. Personally, I don't like to be a member of something and later find that I don't like it as much and stop using it.

-Guycali

It's a great site the way it is. The main reason I joined is because it was the first site that I came across that I found to be informative, friendly and full of just what I needed to know.

Yes we all agree that it needs funding and what better way that to purchase parts, books etc via it. I think the Amazon link idea is great. Is MSA and/or other companies willing to do the same???

As for people being put off by having to setup a user name and password......my God what a effort...all ten seconds of it...wake-up and drag yourselves into the 21st century......if they haven't got the time then they haven't got the Z bug as we all have.

It's great the way it is.

ROFL

Originally posted by EScanlon

I had voted Yes, because I would like to "know" whose question I'm am responding to, but if as you said that is only possible on the Open forum, then let them read all they want, and make them register when they post to participate.

In essence, leave it the way it is.

Esc, I changed your vote for you.... Only the moderator / Administrator can change votes.

• 3 months later...

I am very new to this whole Z world but very experienced when it comes to using news groups and knowledge bases. You see I am a professional computer geek! So I live on the web and constantly surf for tech info in order to do my job. When I became interested in getting a Z (mid life thing) I started surfing the web for info on the car and found many sites. What I liked about this site was that I could view the forum without giving out my email address and it's wealth of information. I think this site has the potential of becoming the number 1 Z starting point on the net so we (you) need to treat it with care. If and when we get adds lets avoid the pop-up windows, I never look at them I just close them because they wizz me off. I would respond well to a “What is on sale” link on the main page. Also I do not mind sale flyer emails from vendors.

• 2 months later...

I used to deal with managing discussion forums and found that as soon as you start requiring people to register and log-on to read forums, two things can happen. First, people who are just looking for quick information will likely go elsewhere because the though of having to fill out a form to find useless information (in general...we have lots of good info here) does not appeal to them. Second, if you do get this group of people to register, you will likely get completely bogus information. Either way, that doesn't really help with getting sponsorship. The way to get people to register is to give them a tease and require registration for more detailed information. You will still get some bogus registration data but those people that really want a good topical forum will usually go through the motions.

This site is very automated. I registered once, last October, and that was the end of any required interface. The site automatically logs in, both from home and work.

I think that real Z nuts wouldn't hesitate to register. But, in my case, it wasn't until I had a good look at the forum content that I decided to join. Maybe, if I had a "register now" screen pop up on my first visit, I might have said "Screw those people" but, I doubt it. Since I subscribe to just about every Datsun mailing list avialible, (roadster, 510, zhome list, 240 list, early datsun, classic datsun pickup)(you should see my mailbox! :stupid:) I was an easy mark to sign up here as well.

I voted yes. I don't think we'll scare away the die-hard Z folks when they finnaly find this place. And if good numbers would help mike sell a space or 2, all the better.