IGNORED

Should users log-in to read forums?

Mike

Should users log-in to read forums?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should users log-in to read forums?

• Yes, everyone should log in to use the site.
    • No, let people anonymously read the forums.
    • This is a difficult one.... sorry.

Should we configure the system so that users must first log in before they can read forums or access the site?

Registration is free and we will NEVER charge fees to access our site. But, it might be fair to ask users to log-in before they can read anything at the site.

This will enable the administrators (me) to view better statistics and possibly obtain commercial sponsors.

What do you think? Please vote and you can also reply to this message.

The system is CURRENTLY configured to allow anonymous forum browsing.

Just my simple thought here. Yes, I think we should at least count the hits the site has on a daily basis or however you want to do it. Running tally, daily, monthly whatever. I think everyone who comes to this site should be counted as a participant. I don't, however, think we should make them register as members (unless they want to), is this a possibility?

Many times there are 3 to 4 times the number of guest on the site compared to members. Just knowing how many people view the site on a daily basis would be what a potential sponsor would want to know up front.

I don't think we should require them to register as members for the simple reason we now have over 1,000 members but only about half of them are active members. Why do we need to have them register if they are not willing to be active members? In fact of the 500 or so active members there are really only 100 or so who participate on a regular basis.

Sorry, my fingers are getting tired......:P

2mZ, yep we count all hits and statistics for the site. This is based upon visitor to our server and has nothing to do with the membership.

So, yes, I can count the visitors to the site and still let anonymous users view the forums and information.

However, when somebody wishes to participate in the site by writing a message, creating a link, or whatever.... they must register.

This is our current setup.

Originally posted by Mike

2mZ, yep we count all hits and statistics for the site. This is based upon visitor to our server and has nothing to do with the membership.

So, the "numbers" of hits have no reference to the registered members. Does a member who stops in several times a day, count for that # of times and not ONE? Just curious?

So, yes, I can count the visitors to the site and still let anonymous users view the forums and information.

Did this change recently? I thought I had seen one or two "Anonymous" or Posts from Non-registered or something like that.

However, when somebody wishes to participate in the site by writing a message, creating a link, or whatever.... they must register.

This is our current setup.

Es,

The statistics module that I use is based upon the visits to our server based upon the IP address of the visitor. It doesn't require that they log in for me to tell what page they viewed, how long they visited, and what they've done on the site. It's actually a log file that I can interpret with a very cool statistics program.

But, again, it has nothing to do with registered or unregistered. It's just raw web-site statistics. So, to answer your question, the numbers have no reference to the registration of our visitor.

Umm... as far as registered members, the database can tell me how many times a particular user has logged in. But, that user can also log in from many different computers (once from home, once from work, and another from grandmas house is just an example). So, it would tell me that user logged in three times on X day.

I think our 'open forum' is the only forum that allows anonymous posting. All of the other forums SHOULD be restricted to posts by registered members (but everyone can view the messages).

i gotta go with my gut, that is- Mike your king here, so do what's appropriate in your opinion.

My Win98 logs me in automatically, so it matters little to me personally. I'd hate to irritate potential members, but then again, come on- it takes 2 minutes to register- if it helps administration, then its the price you pay i guess.:)

I guess the real vote-swinger would be if it will make a difference to potential sponsors, who in turn could help to support the site, as well as offer product/info to users here.

also, i log on & off 2 to 30 times a day at work, depending on where i am, where the boss is, how busy it is, etc. Do all my log-ins count cumulatively, or what? Hope i don't screw up the statistics, its just that i've become addicted..

..and that's all i've got to say about that...;)

axrph,

The more you log in, the better the statics look to a potential sponsor. The idea is, the more the system is used, linked, and pushed... the better it looks to anyone who wants to advertise a product.

But, that's not why I created the system. This whole experience is here for YOU. It's here for all the Z owners in the world. It's an information house. I want to make ownership of the Z a better thing.

If we need sponsors to help keep it alive... so be it.

Anyway, the numbers are more impressive if I can say that people spend a lot of time on the board and actually use it. (rather than hitting and leaving)

The question stems from the emphasis on quality. The way it's going now... I'm actually thinking about leaving it alone. The "potential" user base is a lot better and we will keep people on the site longer if we let anyone browse the site WITHOUT logging in. I think the votes are going the other way... but, that's cool.

But, the stickler is here... when a user wants to start participating, they are required to create an account. No big deal. Should they also be required to log-in just to read information? That's the question.

I know that every time I try to read a news feed and I am asked to log in... I usually cancel and go somewhere else.

Maybe I answered my own question. :)

Here's another angle for you to consider. I know the only reason I joined was because I had the ability to view this site anonymously for awhile so I could see what the quality and content was of its users. I found the content and format pretty friendly and once I really had some questions I started to use the site as a member. I also looked at zdriver (I think that's the other forum site) but I didn't like it as well. It's completely possible if any and everyone must sign in you may slow or stop new members from joining. People act like water in that they usually take a path of least resistance and if you put up barriers for them they will go elsewhere. I'm not sure what the motive would be to make people sign in if you are getting all the stats you need currently to shop sponsors but I think the site is pretty cool as is. I've done alot of research on this site regarding my Z from technical info to looking at other Z's etc. Anyway, this is one members thoughts. Thanks for setting it up by the way.

XYZ, thanks for the note.... and nice avatar by the way!!

Originally posted by XYZ Here's another angle for you to consider. I know the only reason I joined was because I had the ability to view this site anonymously for awhile so I could see what the quality and QUOTE]