IGNORED

Drivers front wheel touches front valence

Zpat

Could use some guidence, first the car, stock '72 240 (11/71production) and I just finished replacing shocks. Problem, somehow I seem to have changed the left side wheel placement. When I turn the drivers side wheel far right the front edge of the tire now comes in contact with the front stock valence right behind the turn signal even with no load, no one sitting in drivers seat. The shocks are Stagg (I found out too late these do not have very good reviews) but I have my doubts the shock is creating the problem. I did have to completely remove the strut assembly from the car so the sway bar end link and tension bar connections to the control arm were removed along with the two bolts holding the strut to the steering linkage. No problems with right side wheel only left. What can I do to in essence move the wheel back and/or up, away from the valence? Is this an alignment issue? Is the front strut angle dependent on which of the three nuts is bolted thru the shock tower in the engine compartment? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I can not see how changing the shocks would change the ride height?  Did you put everything together exactly like it was?  You put the sway bar back on?  I could see if you left the sway bar off and the springs were fatigued causing it to be a little lower.

Guys, thanks for replying so quickly. I believe everything is back as it was before. No left over parts, all bolts back in place and tight. I have been laying under the car looking for anything bent or out of place but it all looks good. I only replaced the shock all other suspension parts remained as before. I know the strut ball bearing bushing is in place and I put the spring back into its bottom and top retainers correctly (I think). Should I pull the strut and look for anything specific or is it most likely something outside of the strut? Should my next stop be an alignment shop? Thanks again...

Just left an alignment shop (not in the Z) and spoke with the manager. When I told him it was a 240 and explained the problem he said "with McPherson struts you have to be sure and seat the spring ends directly in the notches on the top and bottom retainers or the spring will not fully extend". I remember looking at the spring when I was taking off the compression tool and thinking they were close but not exactly in place. Whats your opinion, could my spring ends being out of place create my problem. If so I will check, if not I will send pictures...

Nope, scratch the springs ends being out of place, they are perfectly seated. Now I'm thinking maybe the spring is just tired and has lost some compression which the new shock brought out.20170309_145943.jpg Would new springs be a good gamble? See pic of wheel assembly less the tire.

The T/C rod is what establishes the forward/rearward positioning of the wheel - think of it as the non-adjustable castor setting.  If the tire is now hitting the valance, it has moved forward.  This suggests the T/C rod is not properly seated where it bolts to the frame.  Its not the struts or springs.  Even if you removed the T/C rod from the control arm, the bolts that attach the T/C rod are a slip fit so its not likely the problem is at that point.

Ok, so now I must confess, and I do this with great humility that I discovered the problem while sitting next to the car with the tires off making measurements and thinking what did I do wrong. Before I tell you please understand I have only owned the car for a few months and had no knowledge of how it was set up. So, I am sitting just staring into the distance as one will when tired of trying to solve a problem when my gaze falls upon the tires. Yes, the tires, they are different sizes!!! One is 185 (obviously ment for the front) and one is 205 (back). I'm sure I had the 205 on the front when I went for my test drive and thus, wheel rub. In my defense they are black wall tires and so it is not that obvious but non the less I ask that you not laugh directly in my presence...Oh, and don't let this stop you from helping me in the future....

• Like 2

It happens to us all. You get tired, working late and night and you do something goofy. Brush it off and have a good laugh.

A wise man once told me. " Mistakes are caused by inexperience. You gain experience by making mistakes ". 

Edited by Chickenman