IGNORED

Best Chamois? (Or Equivalent)

Oiluj

What do you guys use to dry your car's paint?

My old chamois is approaching end-of-life, and I just can't seem to find a good quality one at the auto parts shops in town.  I could probably get a "good" chamois from Griot's Garage, but when buying a chamois, I prefer to see and "touch" it...

I have always used a chamois, but know that there are many micro-fiber dying towel options out there.  Last time I tried one was about 5 years ago, and I wasn't happy the drying performance.

My car's no show queen, and get's washed at home, (no professional detailing).  

While she has a few stone chips, I'm trying to keep the paint nice and don't want to add micro-scratches when washing / drying the paint.

What do you use and recommend for drying the paint?

Edited by Oiluj

For the last couple of years I have been using a Meguiar's water magnet microfiber drying towel after washing my cars,

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/x2000-water-magnetreg-microfiber-drying-towel/

To help minimize micro-scratches don't use a circular motion when drying, just lay the towel out flat on the surface and lightly drag it back over the surface. I also found it helps to do your final rinse of the car with out a spray nozzle on the hose and simply point the hose point straight up and let the water cascade down in a sheet over the whole surface of the car. This helps minimize the surface tension in the water allowing it to drain quickly without beads, minimizing water spots when drying.  On my black Audi this has worked very well.

HTH

Mike

Also the microfiber towels are washable, but should be washed in a separate load with no fabric softener.  Residue from fabric softener will cause micro-scratches.

Edited by CanTechZ

1) Both of the products mentioned look similar in construction, and are less $ than a chamois. 

How do they compare to a good chamois is drying performance?

2) Fabric softener residue will cause scratches?  I would never have thought that.

Wonder if using fabric softener shortens the life of lines on my boat...

I used a chamois for a few years until it was stolen at a car show.  It was at that show that I was introduced to the 'Jelly Blade".  WOW!!  I was impressed enough I went out and bought one.  A very fast way to get the water off of your car.  It is made of soft silicone and the wiper type blade forms to the shape of the car.   I have to follow up with new 'Scott Blue Shop Towels' around the gaps and windows.  Thought about buying another chamois until I saw how much they had gone up. The blade takes less time and energy than the old way.  Always rinse it clean before use, I store mine in a zip top baggie.  If this one goes missing, I'll just get another.   :)  

Bonzi Lon

This is what I use on all of my cars.  It is microfiber but has a 5 mil sponge laminated in between the microfiber.  So you get the absorption of a sponge but with a delicate micro fiber outside so as to avoid scratches.  I get mine from Autogeek and you can find more detail here:

http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-guzzler-hd-towel.html

About $20 for a large one.  Highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Julio, Fabric softener will not shorten the life of your dock lines or your halyards and sheets. It makes it much easier to get the salt-encrusted lines soft and usable again. Another trick I learned was to put the ropes in a mesh bag when washing them. They don't get tangled as much. FWIW I lived on boats for 16 years, sail and power.

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

For more than 30 years I've washed and then softened my sheets, halyards, etc in the bath-tub, bundling them in an old pillow case.

I got in trouble with my bride for using one of our bedroom pillow cases.  From that point on, that particular pillowcase was designated to boat line duty...  :)

Julio