IGNORED

Oil Gutter Inside Transmission

71Nissan240Z

NO. I would not advies going further without replacing it.

I replyed to your other post, but its a good idea to post here.

If you don't use an oil gutter you will starve the rear section of oil. This will damage the fifth gear and its synchro and the reverse gear. It might even get hot enough to seise while driving given the conditions like hot day and long drive in fifth gear.

The oil gutter only costs about €1.50, but you need the Bell housing (front section) and rear extrension dismantled to fit it.

Chas

Thanks euro. I'm compiling a small order for the gutter and the shifter rod seal.

Do you happen to have the part number for the counter shaft ring that locks the bearing in place at the front?r? The main shaft ring is there but the counter shaft ring clip thing is missing. I can't find the part number on the exploded diagram. Thanks for all your help.

I think that I have one from an old parts transmission in my garage, if it didn't get damaged.  The parts are in a box.   If you get in a bind, I could probably get it to you.  I'm on the west side of the metro area.  It would probably fit in an envelope and be covered by a stamp or two.  Let me know.  Not a big deal.

Broke it.  I had set the adapter plate down on the gutter and squished/squashed it.  I heated up the bend and straightened it out but it was too late.  After I drove it out and tried to fine tune the bend, it broke.

You do need that part.  Oil supply is important.  If you get the right parts guy at the Nissan dealership they can find it.  

post-19298-0-63631400-1419397327_thumb.j

Yeah I ordered. Three of them from nissan incase I have trouble installing the peice. Any suggestions to make it go more smooth? The way I'm putting the case together is placing the front bell housing on two peice of wood then sliding the gear assembly with the tail housing attached into the front cover. It's a tight fit. Plus trying not to mess up my fipg gasket maker can make it a pita.

I used Hylomar for the gasket.  It's non-hardening.  You might build a little stand or support for the rear half of the transmission so you can stand it on end.  Then lower the front half on to it.  Easier to align things.  It's not what I did when I put mine together but it's what I would do if I did another.  Don't forget to put the transmission in to a single gear before putting the front case on.  Otherwise you'll push both shift rods at once and lock it up.  That's why I appreciated the Hylomar.  Someone from another forum suggested Hylomar.  It works well since the case is not pressurized and the surfaces are finely machined.

Some heat on the adapter plate will help the gutter go in.  It helped mine come out.