26th-Z

Automotive Photography

44 posts in this topic

Thought you all would get a kick out of this article from "Studio Photography" magazine. This publication targets the business aspect of photography and professional photographers. Although I am neither a pro nor in business as such. This might help your fun with cars this summer.

Chris

post-4148-14150797659997_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150797660745_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150797661482_thumb.jpg

Funny you should post this. I've been watching ebay and what Z's are going for. Some that I think should do well don't and others that shouldn't do. The main differance between the cars in most cases is the "ads", lots of pics even of things that don't matter and a Hi-Po ad bring high prices, a few general pics and a poor ad bring low prices even if the car could be a real jem.

Goes to show what people look for, pretty pics of what you see, not what is important, and high power selling ad telling you how great it is without telling you much about what is really there.

I have friends that do a lot of shopping for old muscle cars and have looked at "featured" photo cars only to find that what you see in the pic isn't what you are really getting!

Great article. Thanks for sharing!! What a job.

Double funny you should post this...after the "Best Pose" contest, I convinced my wife to do another round on the Z...I am thinking of creating a poster or something. This should come in handy!

Great Article I've always wanted a job like that. I might try and find his book I'm sure it would be an interesting read. :)

Great artical and yes it does sound like a great job. Makes me want to go out and spend some cash on a new digital SLR.

The automobile industry is barely a century old. But in that brief period, a wonderful sense of style, proportion and purpose has developed. Regardless of age, automotive designs remain pure and alluring. It has been my pleasure to capture these great machines and reveal their personality to you.

The automobile industry is barely a century old. But in that brief period, a wonderful sense of style, proportion and purpose has developed. Regardless of age, automotive designs remain pure and alluring. It has been my pleasure to capture these great machines and reveal their personality to you.

Am I the only one that fails to understand this Post? Who's pleasure has it been?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Am I the only one that fails to understand this Post? Who's pleasure has it been?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Michael Furman's.....it's a quote from his web sight.

http://www.michaelfurman.com/

Strange post though....I agree.

Who is Lisa-Adam and why did she quote someone without noting that it was a quote? Strange indeed.

I photographed airplanes in high school & college. Peoplethought I was weird, standing on top of a 12-foot stepladder to get the higher-angle shots. But after taking a couple dozen shots of one airplane, I picked the one that makes people stop and look.

Sometimes I'd sit or lay on the ground to get a low-angle shot (especially lowered cars) and you can make the car look 90 feet long that way! That's why I can appreciate some of the pictures that people used to use for their avatars here; like one of a headlight.

Don't you just hate it when people buy those $400 nikon SLR digital cameras with 99 Megapixels to just take basic shots on the front quarter, then they show you and say "isn't that a great shot :rolleyes: You could probably do better with a a from the camera from the closeout store. :ermm:

Thanks, Chris for bringing this up.

thxZ

The trouble is that those $400 insta-shots turn out great pictures, and for most of us, pictures we are very happy with!

Did you guys line up a photographer for Cleveland, Tomo?

If you are referring to the International convention, then there is a photographer(s).

BTW, when you say 'great shots' on a digital camera, you mean ones that are properly fucussed and exposed. The content may not be great. Some people have no idea about things like composition, movement, colour (or lack of) contrast, shadows, and all the other stuff.

thxZ

Don't you just hate it when people buy those $400 nikon SLR digital cameras with 99 Megapixels to just take basic shots on the front quarter, then they show you and say "isn't that a great shot :rolleyes: You could probably do better with a a from the camera from the closeout store. :ermm:
Maybe. I recently sold my 7 MP Sony point-n-shoot and bought one of those entry-level Nikon DSLRs. (Only 6 MP, BTW.) I did it strictly for action shots. A good point-n-shoot is fine for pictures of things that are still, or moving slowly. But for things that move, a DSLR is MUCH better. Instant on, instant manual zoom control, and lightning auto-focus. I'm much happier with my DSLR, and get candid shots with it that I could never count on getting with my Sony.

But in general, I agree. It's not the camera, or the megapixels or whatever that makes a good picture. It's the subject and composition. If you're taking pictures of cars at a show, any camera will do as long as you know what you are doing.

I did sports photography for the school paper in high school. There is no way any digital camera could focus fast enough to get a shot of something in a softball game or a track meet. In fact, I usually pre-focused my lens to a spot I picked and waited for the right shot to happen. I've tried some of the SLRs and they didn't focus fast enough for me. Since the 35mm always on, I don't have to wait for anything but the right shot, and the battery doesn't run down. About the biggest reason I have a digital camera is because I can put 400 photos on it without loading in film.

BTW,the link in #10 has expired, so you might want to trty this: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/11678_photograph_your_car/index.html

After reading the introductory article in the link above, click on the "Related photos" near the top for some more lessons, especially stuff like not having a pole stuck in your roof or a bush growing out of your hood! ROFL

There's more to photography than a fancy camera or clicking off photos.

I did sports photography for the school paper in high school. There is no way any digital camera could focus fast enough to get a shot of something in a softball game or a track meet. In fact, I usually pre-focused my lens to a spot I picked and waited for the right shot to happen. I've tried some of the SLRs and they didn't focus fast enough for me. Since the 35mm always on, I don't have to wait for anything but the right shot, and the battery doesn't run down. About the biggest reason I have a digital camera is because I can put 400 photos on it without loading in film.
All true. At least with my DSLR I again have the option to pre-focus. Can't do that with your average digi-cam.

But I don't get your battery comment. My 35mm SLRs all had batteries, and they were always dead at an inconvenient time. Battery life on my D40 is outstanding, and the start-up delay is non-existent.

The batteries on my 35mm cameras would last for weeks. It's only needed to power the exposure meter, so they last a really long time.

The worsat thing about the chespr digitals is the wait to focus, and the lag after you press the picture button. If you'retrying to do movement, you either have to be lucky with the timing or pan the shot and hope it's not too blurred.

The worsat thing about the chespr digitals is the wait to focus, and the lag after you press the picture button. If you'retrying to do movement, you either have to be lucky with the timing or pan the shot and hope it's not too blurred.
Ummm, isn't that what I said? :stupid:
Maybe. I recently sold my 7 MP Sony point-n-shoot and bought one of those entry-level Nikon DSLRs. (Only 6 MP, BTW.) I did it strictly for action shots. A good point-n-shoot is fine for pictures of things that are still, or moving slowly. But for things that move, a DSLR is MUCH better. Instant on, instant manual zoom control, and lightning auto-focus. I'm much happier with my DSLR, and get candid shots with it that I could never count on getting with my Sony.

TomoHawk,

I have experienced the lag, but not the blur-this shot was taken several years ago with an inexpensive digital camera with the lathe spinning the wheel at 370rpm-as you can see, no blur at all- if fact, if I hadn't been the one monitoring the lathe and taking the picture, I would swear it was taken with the wheel motionless-you can see the green "fwd" button is depressed(I sent it to therapy to get help shortly thereafter) on the lower row of switches to the left in the picture(the top row is identical, but obviously none of those switches are depressed-they seem much more stable to me....

Will

post-4106-14150803326687_thumb.gif

There's more to photography than a fancy camera or clicking off photos.

True

I had the pleasure of spending many hours with Mike Muller and Peter Brock as they photographed my cars for various publications. Mr. Brock spent about 5 hours shooting, restaging, reshooting and waiting for exactly the right angle of sunlight etc. Likewise Mr. Muller.

I would have to say that both of them are "Professional Photographers". So both of these men seem to have the talent, skill and experience necessary to compose photographs that someone else will pay for.

One thing they both have in common - very fancy camera's, clicking off photos. Hundreds of them per photo session. Both are using digital cameras as well.

I don't care how good you are at composition - if the camera doesn't support and indeed enhance your skill - you won't get the results you should. There is a reason professional photographers pay big bucks for the equipment they use.

The best thing about the new digi-cams and DSLR's vs film cameras - is that you don't pay a penalty for taking hundreds of pictures. You can afford to try many different things to enhance your learning curve.

Bottom line today - buy the best DSLR you can afford. It will support the growth and development of your personal skills - rather than hold you back. There are some amazingly good DSLR's in the $650.00 to $850.00 range today - - and they will be useful for anyone for several years to come.

8 to 10 meg pixel digi-cams, that you can carry in a shirt pocket - also deliver amazingly good photo's for still images etc... They are now down in the $200.00 to $300.00 range...

"Damn it Jim, I'm an Engineer not a Photographer!"

FWIW,

Carl B.

D40x

SureShot 1000

CoolPix 950 (now 6 or 7 years old)