Everything posted by TomoHawk
-
Mulholland Race Course
Ha ha.... You'd think that with off the 'offs' they have in the area, that there would be an access road to get all the junkers out.
-
Mulholland Race Course
Every race course I've heard of has names for certain corners or ares, like Pit lane and so forth.mulholland isn't a formal race course, so obviously it's going to have the names you'd expect for a grass-roots course. Remember that it was originally just a scenic road overlooking Los Angeles, like a parkway, so it wasn't really meant to have the names or high speeds. I"ll bet you there are signs saying "Speed Limit 35" along the whole length, except for a few places.
-
Mulholland Race Course
-
Mulholland Race Course
There are lots of crooked roads anywhere you have hills. In the southeast there is the Blue Ridge Parkway, in N.C. or Tenn. there is "The Dragon," in Ohio we have Route 536/555. Penn. has a lot of hills & mountains, so does N.Y. or any other state near the Appalachian mountain range, and the east coast has more roads than anywhere else in the country, so you're really not far from the "twisties." I just happened to wonder if anyone can confirm that the Hulholland "raceway" is like what is depicted in movies. From what little I've been able to find online, I'd say it's too bad that there hasn't been a comprehensive documentary (even one that's embellished with some fictional drama) about this historical road, one that's been there since 1924, and visited by people such as Gary Cooper, James Dean, and others. Stanley- If you can, the next time you go up that way during the day, would it be possible to get a video recording with spoken notes ("Grandstands," "Sweeper," "Carl's" etc?) thxZ
-
Mulholland Race Course
There was a Z car in the movies. It is seen near the end. Would anyone care to name the details (model, wheels, etc? It's obviously modded, because it sounds more a Ferrari than any standard Z.
-
Mulholland Race Course
The main guy says, " I hear a Z" but he's talking about a Z28 Camaro.
-
Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.
This is a great topic. All we need is everybody to get to the Lakeland event and to wear their best polyester pants and a big cheesy mustache & big hair! Elevator shoes, anyone?
-
Mulholland Race Course
Has anyone been down the Mulholland Race Course? I saw a movie called King of the Mountain and I am interested in seeing how the scenes in the film correlated to actual course. I believe that the movie probably didn't capture the view for sure, due to a relatively narrow field-of-view of the camera and the choppy filming technique, and it was mostly done at night. There are some short videos on YouTube, but most of them are awful amateur videos, with a few documentaries. You might call it the west-coast version of the "Tail of the Dragon."
-
Datsun Travel Gear
That would work, I suppose, but the original idea was to dress up sort of like a race driver. The polyester stuff would be the after-race dress that you wear to the bar to pick up women
-
Datsun Travel Gear
This is the advertisement for the duffel bag that I have. Actually, I got 2 for the price. It is much larger than the eBay bag I referred to originally: 24x 12x12 inches. I was able to pack it full with a weekend's worth pf clothing, including a pair of (dress) extra shoes. I looked all through it for a product code or some kind of identifying information, but found only the required material & care label. Sorry. But I did get it through PCH.com What else would you take with you for a Datsun-themed or Racing-themed weekend? I think the Datsun jacket (or Datsun coveralls?) is a must, and maybe a pair of comfortable (like a windbreaker) pants, and maybe a helmet with decals for DATSUN or your model name & a race number?
-
Datsun Travel Gear
I found a deal on a duffel bag through pch.com that was bigger than the ones I mentioned, but there is no Datsun logo or patch. A source for a patch abut 8 or so inches long would be good. You might even get a matching colour duffel bag!
-
Datsun Travel Gear
Oops- the duffel bag is (18x11x10 inches.
-
Datsun Travel Gear
If you were to go to an automotive event and have a costume-sort of getup, would you wear this Datsun-themed jacket? Also, I found a Datsun-themed duffel bag. It is 45 x 27 x 25 cm (18x1x10 inches.) It just big enough to put your sneakers and a dry T-shirt into.You would need another bag for your clothes and gear. I suppose you could wear your CZCC hat or other Datsun hat, and a pair of jeans. What else would you need? Did John Morton wear sunglasses?
-
Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.
That's what girls used to look like! Not the kind with "booty" that some people like lately. Skinny is the winny :cheeky:
-
Dreamers on ClassicCars.com
the $69,000 one must be some kind of rare car, because the took the body of the FRAME! IMO, if you really want to see what a more (reasonable?) price for one is, wait for one to be on one f those car auction shows.
-
Mr k
The OP video is an example of how the media people cater what they say to what the popular opinion is. Yes, we need to contact the person responsible for the video and ask him to remove it or replace it with an accurate one (which there isn't, because the video is a converted promotional film.) We want people out there to have correct information about the S30 and Mr K.
-
parts worth grabbing off 83 maxima?
If that's the one with the 4 speed transmission (with the overdrive and lockup torque converter) then the transmission is a bolt-up deal for the 280Z engine. That's the trans I want for my car (with the overdrive and lockup torque converter.) Plus the torque converter, flywheel, bell housing, prop shaft, and control wires (if it has electric lockup.)
-
Mr k
Thar's correct, but the video gives him more credits than he actually earned.
-
Very Cool Ignition Upgrade
There's a neat video on YouTube about a distributor with a clear cap. It shows you the arcing while it spins. I would like to see a similar one showing the mechanicals moving with changes in RPM and vacuum.
-
Very Cool Ignition Upgrade
I can think of much better things to spend $1200 on than new distributor.
-
Very Cool Ignition Upgrade
Exactly as I said, there's no reason to fool with something that works fine, or "isn't broke." I would rather spend time in the driver's seat than looking at a computer screen, and fooling with "curves." If it was $89, then I might consider trying it.
-
Very Cool Ignition Upgrade
I think I will keep using the electronic ignition on my L28E engine. Spending $600 to "upgrade" what is already there with what is just a fancier version doesn't sound like much of an advantage. On a 240Z with the points ignition, this looks like it might be a useful upgrade.
-
Very Cool Ignition Upgrade
MSD already has a thing called the E-Curve distributor.... But they make stuff for American engines mostly. http://www.msdperformance.com/product.aspx?id=5411&terms=E-Curve
-
Details on the '78 Heater Control Panel
I thought I might look at some photos online to see if I can find a shot of a good panel at the orientation I need to get the details needed. Then I looked at some eBay auctions, and I did find one but the seller only had one photo from the front. I asked for more photos, and the seller was quite shocked that his part had the ends broken! So he closed the auction. This is an example of the kind of detail was was looking for to repair the ends. The only problem left is to figure out how to get the panel on or ff with out breaking the ends again! There were no auctions that had images of the mode control lever.
-
Mr k
Contrary to what is in the OP's video, Mr K. didn't design anything. He just built up and ran the American part of Nissan for a while. I thought you were going to say he was ill or something.