IGNORED

Custom Wiring Harnesses

ZHadMan

I am entirely interested in this. Whomever owned my Z before me must've loved scissors and electrical tape...as most all sections of my wiring harnesses are composed more of random splices and electrical tape than they are of original materials. The body and underdash harnesses are my main concerns at the moment, as my engine harness seems untouched. However, I am highly considering converting my dual SUs to FI, and would need connectors for any additional equipment. Let me know what I can do to help.

I would just like to add my interest in your custom wiring project. My electronics (stock '70 240) caught on fire a couple weeks ago, and I'm in the midst of redoing parts of the interior and wiring.

I was just about to order a painless wiring kit, so if I could get a more custom set, and support a Z-specific enterprise, I'm all for it.

If you need any pictures, my dash is out and I can get you a digital picture of anything back there that you are interested in.

Let me know --

Steve

Originally posted by ZHadMan

I do not have a digital camera, but if someone was able to take pictures of thier under-dash connectors (*hint hint* :)) I would be better able to estimate a cost.

It's kind of hard to take good pictures under the dash but since my dash pad is off and most of the wiring is exposed I thought I'd give it a shot. You probably need better views of the connectors (i.e., disconnected). I'll be disconnecting them all soon when I pull the dash frame out again. I put these up on my web site since they're hi-res (1600x1200)

<a href="http://server7.aps-soft.com/williams/240z/IMG_3002.JPG">Ignition</a>

<a href="http://server7.aps-soft.com/williams/240z/IMG_3003.JPG">Fuse box</a>

<a href="http://server7.aps-soft.com/williams/240z/IMG_3004.JPG">To engine</a>

Wow! Thanks MikeW!

Most, if not all, of those connectors will be fairly easy to replace. They may not be stock, but very close. Mike, from Oregon, is sending me his 71 engine harness and Clayton (kitkos) is providing me with the Body Electrical section from the 71 FSM. A special thanks goes out to those who are taking time to help me with this project... even from afar! I've been very busy with work and family lately and every small contribution means a great deal to me. I am convinced that it's the MEMBERS who make this club great!

To those who have expressed interest:

Stay tuned! It's taking some time to get all this setup but I am in it whole-heartedly and am listening to requests!

Thanks all!

Keith H

Instead of 'guessing,' why couldn't somebody just contact Nissan directly and find out the specs for the required connectors? Plain and simple- just ask!

Since it looks like standard AMP connectors, we just need to know which one(s).

Why don't we just as Nissan if they would make up so many wiring harnessses, or just certain sections (engine, front, body, rear).

They might be impressed enough with Hybridz.org, 240z.org, et al, they they might do something nice.

Couldn't hurt to ask. Ask the right questions to the right people.

Originally posted by TomoHawk

Instead of 'guessing,' why couldn't somebody just contact Nissan directly and find out the specs for the required connectors?

Why don't we just as Nissan if they would make up so many wiring harnessses, or just certain sections (engine, front, body, rear).

Couldn't hurt to ask. Ask the right questions to the right people.

Sounds like someone is volunteering to make the call!

I work for Nissan in the parts department. Any specific questions you can ask me...I'm even willing to break out the microfiche reader for you all. However, I'm 99.9% positive that Nissan won't make more wiring harnesses. And if they did, they'll be upwards of 700 bucks a piece. Pretty much, Nissan's philosophy on old parts is, "Once they're gone, they're gone." They don't stand to make any real money off of manufacturing new old parts for cars in an increasingly small number. Anyhow, full wiring harnesses aren't a very common need, so...I'm putting my money on ZHadMan =)

Instead of 'guessing,' why couldn't somebody just contact Nissan directly and find out the specs for the required connectors?

It won't really be a guess. I have not had a chance to pull my harness out to check for sure, but if they ARE Tyco/Amp connectors then there will be a part number on the housing. The Tyco/AMP website has a search feature (by part number) that can be used to determine if they are still commercially or publicly available.

If they are not available, or the price is too unreasonable, then a substitute will have to be found.

You are right... it can't hurt to ask.

I'm sure there is a contemporary equivalent of what the original connector is. I think the only difference is that they are using the barrel contacts now, instead of the blade contacts. :(

Otherwise, a simple replacement seems to be in order. But, I think I will try to 'vinegarize' the connectors a little first.

BTW, are you sure it's plain vinegar, or some kind of weak acetic acid solution?

thx.

This place is Kool.