IGNORED

Fuel Injection conversion?

Driftin John

Originally posted by Driftin John

Can anyone let me know whether it is reasonably possible and advantageous to install the Bosch fuel injection system off of a '76 280 ZX onto a '73 240 Z?

there was no 76 280zx :) maybe a 280z :)

I thought all the heads and manifolds where the same from 240z to 280zx well not the same but interchangable :)

The surge tank/resevoir is a good fix, or you could have a sump welded (by a professional) to the bottom of the tank. Tank must be dropped for this. Summit has a sump that would work for this.

I'm going with the resevoir, using a small pump to fill the resevoir from the big tank, and then running the main pump from the resevoir. I got the resevoir from summit as well (it's actually a filter/water seperator, but it's large enough to hold about a pint (1/2 liter) of fuel.

are the 75 and 76 280Z tank, no other tank will fit. it is kind of stuffed in there as well.

something else you will have to do is change the fuel lines as well. its pretty easy concidering all you would have to do is the same anyone that has done a turbo conversion has already done.

search some other sites for turbo conversions and you will find all the information you need to do this

How does the fuel injection go performance wise, against the twin carbs though? I was thinking about this change also, but the fuel injected engine in the 280zx I got doesn't seem to have the throttle response of my 240z with th4e l28 and twin carbs. Both have a 2.5 inch exhaust, while the 280zx has a pod filter and the 240z has the stock orange filter and cover setup.

I can't compare performance wise because ot the extra weight of the 280zx, but the engine just doesn't seem as angry.

The bore and stroke are the differance ... the 240 has a shorter stroke and smaller bore diameter so it will rev up much faster than the 2.8L on the 280ZX. In my opinion ..... a well tuned set of SU's are equal in power and performance to a fuel injected engine.

If you want the best of both worlds ( reliability & fast revs )

put the fuel injection on the 240 block.

- Jeff

Both of them have the L28 engine in them. Same block and head numbers. So they are the same engine, just different intake.. The old L24 did seem to rev harder, but I got rid of that over 18 months ago. Sorry for any confusion.

I was wondering it it had something to do with the carbie butterflies being closer to the head than the throttle body on the fuel injected engine.