IGNORED

Splash Pan

taikaki

Originally posted by 240 in OZ

I just had a look at the pic of the "new" splash pan that Carl Beck posted and wanted to point out that the one that I have on my RHD specification car is different to the one seen in the picture.

Mine is basically identical in shape, size and mounting but it doesnt have the holes in it that are seen in the one in the picture to the rear edge of the pan.

Maybe different markets got different types of splash pans and hence different colours?

Just a thought.

Regards

Joseph

Joseph,

I agree. Mine ( on my ZG ) sounds just like yours ( no holes ).

I think the earliest ones did not have the holes, and the Parts Lists for Japan don't show the holes either.

Same part number though.

Alan T.

:love:

Just mounted my splash pan on my 72 (build 10/71) yesterday.

Painted bottom of pan chassis black and the top side, metallic silver (to match the rest of the engine compartment and car color).

Looks great and I think it will improve radiator cooling (tho I have had no problems with "SilverBullet240Z".

• 4 months later...

LOL!!!

More "EXPERTS" huh?

I see them here and there, too. One says, it's noot an original part, other says it was (from the first run).

I'm glad we can get all 'discussted' about these things here,. :geek: because I've seen some arguments break out at the hot rod shows over little Details like that. Preserving the historical part is nice, but it seems some parts of history insist of losing themselves.

A CAR IS A CAR IS A CAR IS A CAR.

Except that it can be your car.

I installed mine about two years ago and it seems to me that it helped with the lightness feeling in the front end at speed. Later I read that this pan allowed the air flow to smooth out under the engine and did help the air flow through the radiator. But the thing I was more interested in was the reason that it supposedidly helped to eliminate the turbulance and of air building up under this area causing a lifting effect of sorts . Has any one had any indication that this is happining or is it just my imagination. Like when the " ricers" install a 6" exhaust tip and think it makes the car go faster. I sware that I did this installation before I read about it. It was after a speed run on the hiway and was bumped by a quartering gust of wind and the front end felt vary light in the loafers if y ou know what I mean. Now speed for me is a little over 100. Not fast by a lot of you , but plenty fast for me. My pan was painted black . The 240 is a '73 and my friend tried it on his '71 and the bolt holes dident match. :classic:

• 9 years later...

My 240z came with the splashguard and is black both sides when bought back in 1970. In fact you could see the rough brush strokes under where they did it in the factory by hand similar to the black out area behind the grille. This car was sold in Australia. I have since sanded and repainted the splashguard but there are some pics somewhere in the archives.

• 3 weeks later...
My 240z came with the splashguard and is black both sides when bought back in 1970. In fact you could see the rough brush strokes under where they did it in the factory by hand similar to the black out area behind the grille. This car was sold in Australia. I have since sanded and repainted the splashguard but there are some pics somewhere in the archives.

Actually it seems the splash pan was painted by the factory after it was installed. There is black paint from behind the front grille, down the rails, on the sway bar, one engine mount etc. Looks like a real rush job. The pic shows the chassis rail after the pan was removed.

post-15177-14150823116777_thumb.jpg

It makes absolutely no sense to attach an unfinished steel splash pan to a vehicle being shipped overseas for corrosion and appearance reasons. In that case, they could have left a lot of other parts unfinished. I imagine it was at least zinc plated, but even this seems counterintuitive, because they typically would paint something black to hide its appearance from view. No matter, mine is black and will remain so. Maybe someone could ask Matsuo.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I just get a used splash pan here in Germany. I try to install the pan but it doesn´t fit. It fits on the side rails and on the axle but on the front rail there is gap of about 8cm. Is there anything beetween the pan and the rail on the front side ? Does anyone have a picture of an installed pan?

Greeings form Germany

Thomas

HLS30-12349

Hi,

Does anyone have a picture of an installed pan?

Attached are some pictures of my installed 1970 (no holes) splashpan with the original factory finish as it was bought from the dealer in Australia. I sits hardup to radiator support.

post-15177-14150825313766_thumb.jpg

I have recently replaced the splashpan fixings but these were painted over black as well for those who care.

post-15177-14150825310956_thumb.jpg

post-15177-14150825311524_thumb.jpg

post-15177-14150825312085_thumb.jpg

post-15177-14150825312635_thumb.jpg

post-15177-14150825313209_thumb.jpg