IGNORED

I live in Portland Oregon

beandip

Dumb q - why are there so many Z's in the Northwest? Particularly Oregon?

Maybe it's me, but seems like a Z cluster up there. :)

It IS a cluster up here! LOL

Seriously, there are still a lot of all sorts of old cars here. Those of you who think of the Pacific NW as a place of rain might be surprised to know that rust is not nearly the problem here that it is in most of the country. A bit more rust than So Cal or Arizona, but much less than most of the rest of the country. Never been any road salt here in Oregon, for example. And more than half of Oregon (geographically speaking) is high desert and fairly dry much of the year. So old cars simply last longer.

As an example, I can recall visiting the DC-area about 10 years ago, and I never saw a single car older than about 10 years the entire trip. Out here it's very common to see various cars from the 60's and 70's every day. As an example, I drove my '71 Z to work today. On the way I shared the road with a 620 pickup, a '65 Nova, a early '70s Nova, a '67 Mustang, a early '70s Bug, and numerous '70s Chevy and Ford pickups. That's a typical commute for me, 7 miles through town.

Out here a 30 year old car is just that - a 30 year old car, not necessarily a rust-bucket. If you shop carefully rust-free cars aren't hard to find at all.