[2026] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today? - Page 6 - What I Did Today - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

[2026] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

Featured Replies

Hey, moving off the tranny oil topic an onto another related to the tranny, my thread insert kit arrived yesterday as well and I want to get to that in the next day or so.

To recap, one of the M10-1.5 threaded holes for attaching the starter motor onto the tranny bell housing is stripped so an insert is called for.

I'm thinking of using red thread locker fluid on the insert for two reasons. One, I don't think I'd ever want the insert to move from where it's initially placed. Two, using thread locker reduces the chances of galling between the steel insert and the aluminum bell housing; although that wouldn't exactly be a disaster in this situation.

Thoughts?

What type of insert are you using? Blue thread locker is probably enough. Red is for extreme situations.

I used to run a long hose with a funnel from the engine bay down to the transmission fill hole. Just fill it to overflow. A little messy but not as messy as those screw-on pumps can be by the time you get done.

image.png

I would use red "permanent" for this. In my head an insert is precisely the thing I want to become permanent. Heat and vibration considered. Unless the insert manufacturer specifies something else. I recall ProjectFarm having an episode about this. I believe Time-Sert with Loctite 271 is the preferred combination.

Cheers

Edited by DrFeelGood

Well, that insert is now in the tranny - likely until the sun engulfs the earth in a few billion years - and the starter is now attached.

The only issue was that I wanted to use stainless steel bolts to hold on the starter. The problem was that all M10x1.5 SS bolts have 17 mm heads and that size head makes it impossible to get a wrench or socket on the upper bolt (at least with the starter I'm using). So, I used my bench grinder to turn a 17 mm hex head into a 14 mm one and it works beautifully. First photo shows top "14 mm" bolt and second has a 17 mm one alongside for comparison.

20261006_202806[1].jpg

20261006_202910[1].jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Love the "Do Not Strike" sticker. That was the only way I was able to get the old Ford starters to engage back in high school. We called it a technical tap.

Not today (too much rain) but earlier this weekend I took the kids out for boba tea and as a fun excursion in the 280Z. Also took my almost 85-year old Dad out for a ride and to dinner last night. Probably would not have been able to do either if I didn't have a 2+2, as the rear seats came in handy to include both my kids and their best friend on the first excursion and my son rode in the back and was helpful in helping my Dad get in and out of the car. I think he was really impressed and was the first real chance he had to ride in it and get the full Z experience.image.pngimage.png

I drained the old gas out of the 240Z last week. Today, I got back to work on her. First, I installed a new battery. Then, I removed the valve cover and spark plugs so I could put oil in the cylinders and on the cam before turning the engine over. After that, I put a gallon or so of fresh gas in the tank and used a syringe to add gas to the float bowls and to the fuel line between the filter and fuel pump. After a spray of starting fluid to make sure combustion could happen, I tried to start the car. She fired right up and purred like a kitten. I'm looking forward to moving her to my new shop so I can do the rest of the work she needs: new vent hoses, springs & struts, and new rear brakes.

With a helper, I got my engine/tranny assembly into the car. Now I can (1) add that 1.5 L of Redline MT90 to the tranny, (2) fabricate and/or attach all the various remaining fuel, coolant, vapor and A/C hoses that are needed and (3) begin all the electrical hookups.

Can anyone post pix of how the speedo cable is routed through the engine bay?

20261011_140222[1].jpg

20261011_180605[1].jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.