1. 1. Ahat tool does your Z like?

• MAC
    • Snap-On
    • Duratest
    • Craftsman
    • Husky
    • Don't know...Taiwan Specials

Hey Guys

I've been buying quite a bit of tools since '02 (1902) and I have quite a collection. Some of everything. Most all American local brands fare well---Husky Craftsman Snap-on etc. For the new mechanic....stay away from the cheap far eastern stuff.

The '02 thing is just an expression that is now meaningless now that we are in the next century.

My tools are mostly Crafsman because I started collecting when I was in the Air Force and had little money for tools. My Dad gave me a few he has had since the 50's and even when I broke his 18" breaking bar a quick trip to the local Sears store and I had a brand new one for free.

I do buy some cheap-o (Chicago Electric) tools like my 1/2" electric impact wrench. I only use it about two or three times a year (at most) so I couldn't justify spending several hundred on a quality brand when this was only $49.

• 1 year later...

Mostly Craftsman as well, but assorted ones depending on whats on sale and what i need at the time. Funny you start this thread because I just broke a 1/2 drive ratchet and it was and off brand , and I was wishing it was a craftsman:). There is a diffrence in quality but as soon as I find the 12/14mm sockets and phillips goblin thats has been stealing my tools all will be good on this earth .

Craftsman, SK, Matco, throwaway.

Though recently the Craftsman tools I have purchased seem to be in the throwaway category(3 3/8" wratchets in 5 fasteners(no not spindle pins)(replaced a 20 year old tool, that had been hammered on one too many times with 3 before I got one that would wratchet repeatedly), 1 1/4 wratchet-same problem, chrome peeling off new sockets-cutting skin, After having three trips to Sears to replace a faulty wratchet, slicing open my thumb with the chrome plating that was peeling off a brand new 17mm deep socket was just too damn much-Sears said the plating wasn't warranted, and the tool still performed as intended-my question was what part of the design was ment to peel the flesh from my thumb.

I am not buying more Craftsman tools, they have lowered their quality.

I will replace them as they fail with SK, Matco, or Snap-on.

Will

I'm mostly Craftsman, though I agree that the new stuff isn't like the old stuff. Snap on and Mac are mixed in there too. One thing I consider a best buy are the impact sockets at Harbor Freight, I've got one set that is going on 20+ years and lost most of them before any of them broke, so for impacts HF is the way to go, when they are on sale of course :)

Mostly Craftsman here, with a few odd ones tossed in from when I was working at autozone ... Greatneck I believe... they are those seldom used tools, so I didn't mind. Since I get moved all over the country I find that Craftsman is the best for me because there is always a Sears nearby. My floor jacks jack stands and toolboxes are all Craftsman also ... even my new aircompressor - Thanks mom! Craftsman is expensive enough, there is no way I could justify Snap-on.

Nate

I prefer whichever brand my mechanic uses! ROFL If any of them break, become lost or stolen, or just plain wear out, I wouldn't even notice!

In all seriousness, I have Craftsman tools in a Craftsman benchtop toolbox, as well as various hardware store and auto parts stuff. My needs at this time don't require a wide variety of tools so my collection is rather limited (combo wrenches, screwdriver assortment, various adjustable wreches, etc.). Although, if I had unlimited funds, I'd just buy my Z mechanics shop!! :love: