1975 280z Build - Page 13 - Build Threads - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1975 280z Build

Featured Replies

I thought you were using an under the cap Pertronix, not a Pertronix branded HEI module.

Those modules pass current through one of the mounting hole brass grommets. The thick one I believe, next to the B and C pins. The screw and the mounting area have to have a good ground.

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2025 at 8:50 PM, Zed Head said:

It's not a big deal.  It will only affect things like intake/exhaust manifold gaskets.  Look between the 1 and 2 spark plugs on the cylinder head and you''ll probably see N47 or P79.  Check for numbers on the exhaust manifold.  They might have used the N42 manifold from the 75.  The port shapes are different.

 

To my recollection the 75 Z didn’t have an egr valve on the intake. I think that’s why they have been in such demand. A lot cleaner intake setup.

Darn it.

On 2/5/2025 at 5:21 PM, Zed Head said:

Somebody put a 280ZX engine in that car.  Maybe they did the 5 speed too.  That would be nice.

The intake manifold and the cooling fan ducts over the valve cover are the tell.  It should run just like the original 75 L28.

Had second thoughts.  Probably not.  Looks like a 75 manifold.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-datsun-280z-43/

I think that you meant to quote this one. You're right, it would not be a 75 intake manifold since it has EGR. Maybe it's a 79 ZX engine. N42 block, N47 head, ZX injector cooler fan. Don't think that the head numbers were ever reported.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

good news! Heard from the mechanic the other day and it turns out that my injector issue was just a bad ecu. Got a replacement and it fired right up. Sounds pretty decent too. They mentioned that the cylinders have a little low compression and the back 3 injectors should be replaced, among some other minor issues he found while figuring out the injector problem.

Im goin to pick up the car Monday and I’m hoping to just drive it up on to the trailer. But the transmission is still an unknown. So we will see.

2 hours ago, nowak1981 said:

Got a replacement

What did you get and where from?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

@Zed Head

I actually got two ECU's, One from ebay, and another from Jenny's Junkyard. Just in case the ebay one was a bust. Jenny's was about 2 hours from where i live, she has about 13 or so Z cars plus what ever she keeps in the garage. Its not a huge place. I only paid $80 for it, which I thought was fair. The one from Ebay was $120.

Jenny does have an Ebay page, but she doesnt put much on there, best to just email her if you need something.

She also has a cool 260z with a Cadillac CTS-V engine in it, which I believe is an LS motor, but im not sure which version. LS3 probably.

Which part number? Exact match or not? Just curious, I already know that a variety worked on my car.

  • Author

The one that is currently installed is a11-600- 000. Mine was originally 600 050.

The Ebay one is a11-000-000, which I hasnt been tried yet.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Its been a fantastic day so far! I Finally got my fuel injector problem fixed. That consisted of replacing the pigtails and installing new amazon injectors only to find out they dont work. I sourced some used injectors from a fellow forum member @darom and wouldnt you know. It works!

Here is a link to that thread. Turns out, amazon injectors arent the way to go.

I still need to clean up and wrap the new wiring but that should be it for that project.

The next big thing I need to tackle is the vaccum lines. I have a couple loose ones I need to find a place for.

Next would be to change the transmission and differential fluid. I already changed the oil.

Then I'll drain the coolant and replace the thermostat and coolant temp sensors, as well as replacing a couple of the connectors there. I wont be able to do a flush since im in an apartment garage.

Then its on to brakes. I have a 280zx master cylinder to replace my leaky one and the 4-pistion conversion that I got from @Patcon . After that, I think its ready to take around the block!

Thanks everyone for helping me out! This is a great community and Im glad to be a part of it. I am learning so much! Stay tuned for more!

  • Author

Got a fair bit done today. Managed to change my Transimission fluid with some Redline MT-90 and the differential with some redline 75w-90. Both had metal on the magnets, Im not sure of the severity of it though.

This was from the transmission, its hard to tell on the second pic. I cleaned half of the plug to compare.

20260701_185143860_iOS.jpg 20260701_185252898_iOS.jpg

This is from the differential. Pretty much the same amount, maybe a bit less. The oil is much thicker so its also hard to tell.

20260701_194356897_iOS.jpg

Also decided to drain the radiator and replace some coolant sensors and the thermostat. Whoever did the work on this last made a mess. There wasnt even a thermostat installed. I also broke the petcock =( So while I was ordering a new one, I decided to order some radiator hoses and a cap even though the old ones still felt really good. At least I can now take the radiator completely out so I can reinstall the fan clutch.

20260701_205159534_iOS.jpg

I've got a post up in the engine section asking about one of these sensors. Looks like the wire is about to break off. Hopefully someone can identify it so I can get a replacement. I looked through zcardepot and I couldnt find anything close to it. Its also a different size thread compared to the others

20260701_205842891_iOS.JPG

Never seen that before. Looks like it maybe a sensor for an electric fan. Do you have a ZX engine in your 280Z?

Edited by Yarb

2 hours ago, nowak1981 said:

Also decided to drain the radiator and replace some coolant sensors and the thermostat. Whoever did the work on this last made a mess. There wasnt even a thermostat installed. I also broke the petcock =( So while I was ordering a new one, I decided to order some radiator hoses and a cap even though the old ones still felt really good. At least I can now take the radiator completely out so I can reinstall the fan clutch.

20260701_205159534_iOS.jpg

I've got a post up in the engine section asking about one of these sensors. Looks like the wire is about to break off. Hopefully someone can identify it so I can get a replacement. I looked through zcardepot and I couldnt find anything close to it. Its also a different size thread compared to the others

20260701_205842891_iOS.JPG

I didn't crack open the 75 FSM to compare, but this is in the 76 FSM.

image.png

It looks like the water temperature switch was removed and the coolant bypass was installed in it's place. Where does the wire go to that is attached to the sensor on the side (where it should be the coolant bypass)?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.