IGNORED

73 240 su flat top to round top swap

Posted (edited)

I am now going to attempt to take off the old non working flat top SU carbs and put in the round top SU carbs can someone please tell me which lines must stay and which lines can go and/or is there a step-by-step instruction on how to do this I have not seen any any videos on the swap or any step-by-step instructions on the swap. I need to buy any extra parts or can this be done with what is there between the two sets of carbs?  I have another manifold that goes with a round top carbs. Do I just takeoff the manifold that’s on there now and put on the round top carbs on the manifold that I have with them or do I just take the carburetters off and put them on the existing manifold. ??

IMG_8740.jpeg

IMG_8728.jpeg

IMG_8718.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

IMG_8684.jpeg

IMG_8735.jpeg

Edited by Shawninvancouver

I think he can get the car running if he cleans them up a little bit. If he finds tuning is an issue, he could rebuild them then.

He does need to get the floats set properly though.

It's my perception that the budget for this project is very limited...

Yes guys. Budget is limited and I just want to get it running. I’m no mechanic. Just a wanna be. But do you suggest swapping carbs or just cleaning up the flat tops to get it going?  I noticed the float bowls for the flat tops are on the bottom therefore very hard to access. Do I need to take the carburetters right off the manifold to clean these float bowls out on the flat tops or do you suggest taking the flat tops right off the manifold and putting on some round tops what’s the easiest way to get this thing going? 

Weird how I have the urge to post.  But then change my mind.  So far, the car has only made a few sparks.  Carb swapping is far in the future.

This is unknown -

1 hour ago, Shawninvancouver said:

non working flat top SU carbs

• Like 1

I’m frustrated at this point and can’t keep participating in a thread where not reporting back the findings in order to move forward in a systematic manner for a positive outcome is extremely frustrating for me personally. Familiarizing and educating yourself before jumping into this is extremely important. For that reason I’m out.

Wish you the best

yarb

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Shawninvancouver said:

ok..  i got ya.. can anyone tell me where the float bowl drain screw is on the su flat top??

i want to drain the bowl... i am assuming there is a screw somewhere....

There is no drain on the flat tops.

7 hours ago, Shawninvancouver said:

do you suggest swapping carbs or just cleaning up the flat tops to get it going? 

what’s the easiest way to get this thing going? 

I'm a fan of the flat tops, but they are more complicated than the round top. And complicated is not "the easiest way".

I'd suggest taking the entire intake manifold(s) off and replacing it with the round top rig you have there.

• Like 1