IGNORED

Aligning empty doors

Broman

I am trying to wrap up the metalwork on the sills and doglegs and have re-hung the fenders and doors to work the gaps and get it all (near) perfect.  But the doors are empty and if I press down the rear top of the door, it bows down (like you would expect a small tinny door to do).  So I feel sure that after paint, when the doors later get populated with glass, mechanisms, door cards, etc, the door will sag out of their pre-aligned position.

So how do y'all deal with this?  I'm thinking that I could hang a dummy weight on the inside of the door to simulate the downward moment of the uninstalled components.  But how much weight, and how far forward of the hinges?

Or do I just continue my metalwork with the now-aligned door and resign myself to re-aligning the doors then they gets populated?

Before paint you have to assemble the whole car to check the gaps between the panels. All panels are empty then.  If they fit perfect you can go for paint and assemble everything. I believe the last time i put my 280zx with very long doors together i smuggled a little by hanging the doors just a tiny little higher than they should and it went very well.. You can simulate the weight by just laying your hand on the door.. But it's always a guess. You might need to readjust them after complete assembling it. If you do, use some paint protecting towels as a paintchip can be very frustrating.. (no i had no paintchips)

9 hours ago, Broman said:

So how do y'all deal with this?  I'm thinking that I could hang a dummy weight on the inside of the door to simulate the downward moment of the uninstalled components.  But how much weight, and how far forward of the hinges?

I use a 3lb mallet placed inside the door at the back and cardboard shims between the door and the rocker.

• Like 3