IGNORED

Circuit board

dhp123166

Who here knows the proper title given to the circuit board that s30 ZCAR headlight and turn signal switches use in their switches?

This would be someone with a command of ZCAR esoterica and sadly, most of those guys are passing on.

I miss them.

Yes, "phenolic" is in the title but there is a lot more included in the correct product name because there are numerous different products that have "phenolic" in the material name.

My current plastic choice is Torlon 5030 to replace primarily the circuit board in the hi-lo beam switch but it would be nice to maybe have the same material as OEM.

On the other hand, that stuff was kind of too fragile to use as the hi- lo circuit board and 50 years on they are mostly broken or break when attempting removal from the switch housing.

Thanks Jim

Edited by dhp123166
  • Like 1

Glad to help.

But out of curiosity... I believe more modern materials are better in pretty much every way than that old brown stuff. Why would you not use current age glass reinforced board material?

I mean, I get originality, but in an area like that where it is completely invisible it seems unnecessary. You can get the new glass FR-4 in black color solder mask. Would that be "good enough"?

• Like 1

Just for context, here's an image of the board.  If you're thinking mass production then something easily machinable would be good.  For one time, you might dull some tools cutting a glass-reinforced material.

image.png

image.png

Stole it from here...

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:30 PM, dhp123166 said:

the proper title given to the circuit board that s30 ZCAR headlight and turn signal switches use in their switches?

For as far i know.. we (Dutchies) call it pertinax

Pertinax, also called FR-2 or hard paper, is an electrical insulating material consisting of layers of paper impregnated with a phenol - formaldehyde - synthetic resin. Pertinax is electrically insulating and has a high breakdown voltage. The thermoset was developed during the First World War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR-2

Looks like good stuff.  Probably easy to work with.  Must be an analog here in the states somewhere.

https://gie-tec.de/product/phenolic-resin-paper-laminate-fr2/?lang=en

Phenolic resin paper Laminate FR2

• Halogen-free laminates (1,5mm) out of  phenolic resin paper
  • High dielectric strength, excellent insulator in high-voltage technology
  • Very good processing, high tool life
  • 35µm copper cladding (copper foil, single side)
  • Optionally uncoated or with foto positive coating of the copper foil
  • High quality positive resist with short process times
  • Produces according:
    – UL:    E103670
    – VDE:    Reg. Nr. 4158
    – BSI:    6741
  • Option:
    Phenolic resin paper/ Pertinax without copper lamination, Thickness 1,0mm or 2,0mm