IGNORED

Is my throw out bearing correct?

kcpope

14 hours ago, Zed Head said:

How do you know?  The 240Z came with a Type B 4 speed after the Type A monkey motion unit.

Feels like the table has turned...

For what it's worth, more food for thought, the Type B 5 speed is identical in every way, externally and gears 1 - 4, to the Type B 4 speed.  Nissan just added a 5th gear and some shift control mechanisms.  The 1 - 4 ratios are identical.  In 1978 you could order a 5 speed or a 4 speed.  It would be a Type B transmission.  Same dimensions.  Pretty sure the clutches were identical. 

Just poiniting out that the labels in that figure don't really tell much.  

I agree…..That chart of collars seems worthless to me. What we need is a picture of three collars. 240z, 280Z and 280Z 2plus2 or turbo. Thats why I always ask Motorsports to send me the one of three that I need. I don’t want to pull a tranny but once.  🥳

Edited by Diseazd

I agree…..That chart of collars seems worthless to me. What we need is a picture of three collars. 240z, 280Z and 280Z 2plus2 or turbo. Thats why I always ask Motorsports to send me the one of three that I need. [emoji3060]

A chart would be nice. And I know Motorsport would get me the right setup. I’ve used them plenty of times for other parts. I’m just trying to save a buck and cobble together the kit on my own.

Ordered the exedy 06009 kit last night. We’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, figured I would offer a conclusion to benefit anyone reading through this thread in the future.

Yes, the exedy 06009 clutch kit appears to be correct for the longer collar. Stacked everything up as described in other threads and appears to be exactly 92mm.

81caa8e03f51b45941381eef0ae801dc.jpg

fe7e2ed210df3b7567fd9d9b8787945f.jpg

63437436515be5c609dfa2e822ba2556.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 92 mm number keeps popping up, on various forums from various people, over decades.  Thanks for confirming, again, and adding the collar/sleeve/bearing measurement.  Looks like 47 mm to the fork contact surface?  Should be a good setup.

You did the pilot bushing, right?

Yes, the collar is about 47mm from the TO bearing face to the fork contact shoulders on the collar.

Yep, swapped out the pilot bushing using the bread trick. Couldn’t believe it worked but it worked like magic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kcpope said:

Yes, the collar is about 47mm from the TO bearing face to the fork contact shoulders on the collar.

Yep, swapped out the pilot bushing using the bread trick. Couldn’t believe it worked but it worked like magic.

Good job kcpope. I just remembered I have kept two collars with throw out bearings attached for future acknowledgement. One for 280Z and one for 240Z. I just went out and measured. The 280Z collar with throw out bearing is 47mm and the 240Z with throw out bearing is 37mm. This needs to be logged for future reference. The 2plus2 / turbo is in a league of its own. I didn’t keep one of those. 

• Like 1

image.png

That makes this chart even more worthless. The Type B 4 speed in the chart shows 29 mm and is correct for the 280Z clutch……... 47 mm total. The 240Z collar is 10 mm shorter at 19 mm…… 37 mm total with throw out bearing. The throw out bearing is 18 mm. None of the collars in the chart have that 19 mm measurement for the 240Z clutch. Go figure!

• Like 1