IGNORED

Stiff Factory Diamond Vinyl

87mj

I have some factory vinyl I plan to install in my '70.  It is in very good shape except for a section on the transmission tunnel.  It is a strip about 10" tall along the floor on the passenger side.  It is unusually stiff and wont lay flat against the jute even after I glue it down.

I have tried using Meguiars Back to Black to soften it up but that didnt have any impact. I thought about Vaseline or maybe even shoot it with a hair dryer.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I made a mistake.  I used Meguiars Hyper dressing on it.  Not back to black.  It treated the rest of the vinyl very well.  Just not this one section.  I cant imagine what would have happened to this one section. Very odd.  I will give the hair dryer a try and see how it goes.  But yes, leaving it out in the sun will probably not work in Indiana.  😄

23 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Rubber, plastic and vinyl get crispy here in Arizona. I've used Hyper Dressing many times to breathe some life back into them but it's not instantaneous. I've put parts slathered with HD in a plastic bag for 2-3 weeks ...

I am a little reluctant to use heat since it is possible that was the cause of the damage.  But heat might be my only choice.  Hyper dressing definitely made the rest of the vinyl soft.  Just not that one section.  Maybe I will give it another try.  Front and back of the section.