IGNORED

Quarter panel new outer rubber ...not fitting in the channel!!!

MH77280Z

19 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I used a long wide, padded ratchet strap though the hatch. Soapy water, patients, and a helper to pull it back and get some screws in. 

It worked well and no scratches. Still not a fun job. (I did clean off all the old glue and debris off the frame.) 

OMG... I didn't know that anyone else used this same Rube Goldberg technique as I did 13 years ago! With no car guys anywhere around, i had to single-hand virtually all of my assembly. Wierd creativity was sometime called for. 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/17/2023 at 9:36 PM, Richie G said:

I literally just finished the driver side yesterday and here's some pics.  The precision rubbers work great if you are patient and steady.  You won't break the glass if you apply even pressure inward and towards the rear at the same time.  i was able to do this by myself put using one hand to press on the glass and the other to set the screws by reaching around.  The trick is as mentioned, set the glass about 1 inch or so forward of the screw holes and the trick is to get the corner peice set first.  Only set enough screw to catch them move on to the bottom back then two front.  Remember to only set the screw enough so it catches at first then move on to the remaining screws so you have wiggle room to move it until all 4 are caught then you can easily tighten down.

One thing I wanted to correct for future reference for those that still may need to do this.  After I posted these pics i was looking at the car and noticed the corner really didn't have as tight a seal as it should.  What i realized is that I forgot to put the rubber shims back around the corner to "build it up" before attaching the new channel seal.  If you can see here in the original picture the rubber kind of disappears from the pic on the corner because it wasn't really a great seal.  i could actually push on it and it would retreat into the opening leaving a bit of an air gap i didn't like.

image.png

Here's an updated pic with the window replaced and a rubber shim under the corner section

image.jpeg

The seal is now correct and you can't push the rubber in like I could before.

Hope this helps the next guy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1