IGNORED

Center Console Install/Hardware

Kevin McSweeney

I have searched all over - so apologies if I missed it - but I'm looking for a write up on the installation of the center console, and particularly a description/specification of all of the hardware for it. During my restoration, the hardware has long since disappeared, and I'm having a very difficult time finding any. I'm hoping that most of it can be found at a hardware store, but I just can't find any detailed descriptions, photographs or videos of the removal or reinstallation of the hardware. My car is a 78 280z but I'm assuming they are all pretty similar in terms of the console.

Thanks in advance.

I don't recall seeing any restoration write-ups that have been specific to the centre console.  I think you'll find (limited) discussions on the topic as part of broader write-ups on Interior restoration. If memory serves, the full-restoration thread done by CSCZ member @wheee! was based on a 280Z, so you might find some tips there.  Most of the coverage that I remember deals with repairing the consoles for earlier 240Z models, which were prone to cracking where the choke lever assembly attaches.

Perhaps it would help if you provide some details about the condition of your console, which will help us to understand why you think you need to replace some of the hardware.  As for the removal/reinstallation process, the Factory Service Manual (downloadable for free from the 'Resources' section) should be your first pint of reference.

SEM 'Landau Black' paint is generally considered the go-to paint for reconditioning the Z console.  Most members use a 'chrome' pencil to restore the trim highlighting.  Cracks can be repaired with cautious use of the ABS plastic cement used for plumbing.  If its a long crack, you should probably reinforce the back side with a secondary layer (an old credit card or hotel key card works well for this purpose).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Namerow said:

I don't recall seeing any restoration write-ups that have been specific to the centre console.  I think you'll find (limited) discussions on the topic as part of broader write-ups on Interior restoration. If memory serves, the full-restoration thread done by CSCZ member @wheee! was based on a 280Z, so you might find some tips there.  Most of the coverage that I remember deals with repairing the consoles for earlier 240Z models, which were prone to cracking where the choke lever assembly attaches.

Perhaps it would help if you provide some details about the condition of your console, which will help us to understand why you think you need to replace some of the hardware.  As for the removal/reinstallation process, the Factory Service Manual (downloadable for free from the 'Resources' section) should be your first pint of reference.

SEM 'Landau Black' paint is generally considered the go-to paint for reconditioning the Z console.  Most members use a 'chrome' pencil to restore the trim highlighting.  Cracks can be repaired with cautious use of the ABS plastic cement used for plumbing.  If its a long crack, you should probably reinforce the back side with a secondary layer (an old credit card or hotel key card works well for this purpose).

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified. I have a NOS center console, so it is essentially new; no damage. My question only pertains to the installation of the console, not repair. I no longer have any of the original hardware from when my console was removed. Nobody seems to sell the hardware separately and I haven't been able to locate it at a junkyard, etc., so I'm looking for specifications so I could potentially get it at a hardware store.

Keep in mind that the console mounting hardware is shared with hardware for other interior items. Pan head or oval head phillips drive screws, 6mm thread hex head bolts with a 10mm wrench size . . . . .

As long as the correct length is used, nobody will know they didn't originally hold the console in place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zKars said:

Not much magic here, the three trapped nuts in the mounting brackets at the back are M5x0.8 thread, the bolts are black nearly flat headed phillips (ok, yes, JIS…) about 16mm long,  The front two on the sides are self taping metal screws, now what size is a bit of a trick to describe, they thread into spring clips on the sides of the mounting bracket, something akin to #8 wood screws. They were oval headed, but whatever sits flush and doesn’t catch your knee…..   

Thank you. That's really all I needed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 9:05 AM, zKars said:

Not much magic here, the three trapped nuts in the mounting brackets at the back are M5x0.8 thread, the bolts are black nearly flat headed phillips (ok, yes, JIS…) about 16mm long,  The front two on the sides are self taping metal screws, now what size is a bit of a trick to describe, they thread into spring clips on the sides of the mounting bracket, something akin to #8 wood screws. They were oval headed, but whatever sits flush and doesn’t catch your knee…..   

Perfect. I'm also replacing my center console with a new piece, and the original was missing all the mount hardware. I looked in the fiche - and had to 'assume' the forward screws were self tappers, since they are not described or assigned an item #

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 8.54.40 AM.png