IGNORED

A quiz for the freaks....

Zvoiture

Originally posted by lordbiotree

Manifold nuts are square require monkey wrench and vice-grips.

Not on any of the 3 - 240Z's that I've owned. The 3 nuts that mount the down pipe to the exhaust manifold flange have been 14mm stainless steel hex nuts, and the nuts and bolts that attach the intake and exhaust manifolds to the cylinder head have been 12mm hex nuts/bolts.

Per Z Car Microfiche CD:

Nuts (manifolds to head) = p/n 08911-10810 Nut - Hex

Nuts (Ex Manifold to Downpipe) = p/n 20600-87100 Nut, Fixing; Tube End (these are Stainless Steel Hex nuts)

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage

Yep thats the right answer.

I've had mine in pieces, stripped it and repainted it. Now I just have to put it back together.

Whew, your silence of the past few days had me worried. I was under the car for several hours yesterday and searched high and low for something else that fit the specs you had posted and the grille was the only thing I could find that had rivits, steel, aluminium, and stainless bolts.

So,, is my "prize" in the mail? LOL

Originally posted by Zvoiture

Where are the naturally occuring odd-sized bolts or nuts on a Z? (that's 7-9-11-13-15mm and so on...)steve77

Throughout the entire car . . . mainly the body and interior. I just stripped another Z down recently (a 240 this time), and had sockets scattered everywhere. :cross-eye

Originally posted by Zvoiture

Yeah, I have never seen square nuts either in that location--or any, for that matter.

steve77

Found some. In taking apart my dash last night, I removed the brackets that hold each of the three instruments (clock, oil, etc.). The bolts that connect the brackets to the dash (not the gauges to the brackets) go into sliding, trapped nuts for adjustment. And those nuts are square! Don't know if this counts or not :ermm: since you don't actually have to turn the nuts, but they sure are square!

>>>>The bolts that connect the brackets to the dash (not the gauges to the brackets) go into sliding, trapped nuts for adjustment.<<<<<

Oh yeah, you're right...and also the front valance/fender connection is square nuts trapped in sliding boxes....

So what's the official term for this 'capturing'? Is htere a different term than nuts that are 'captured' by spotwelding?

steve77

• 9 months later...