IGNORED

Dave W 1971/240Z rebuild

grannyknot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a thread on the forum right now about installing the pilot bearing in the crank and it reminded me that I still had to do that job on Dave's engine.

In the past I have always used the hydraulic method using bearing grease but this time I thought I would try using bread instead of grease, I was surprised at how well it worked. The best thing is it is so much easier to clean up.  Not only was the old bushing worn but it was also installed too far back.

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yarb said:

O’Riley’s has a pilot bushing removal tool in the loaner program. Worked great 

I have one but it will only work about half the time. The ears are too large sometimes especially if the bushing is set in deeply. Then there is no room to hook the rear edge of the bushing

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

I have one but it will only work about half the time. The ears are too large sometimes especially if the bushing is set in deeply. Then there is no room to hook the rear edge of the bushing

I made a pilot bushing remover tool many moons ago (many). Probably made it for my Z at the time.

Man, have I gotten a lot better at making things since then. I probably still have it and if I can find it, I'll post a pic.  LOL

• Haha 1

I got the front and back glass out today, also polished up the SS trim and put away in storage.  Something strange though, at least for me,  rust in the top corners of the roof and A pillars, I've never seen that before, anyone else?

The bottom corners of the windshield frame are rust free, that is where I usually find it. 

Windshield came up nicely after cleaning with a garden hose and some strong detergent, just a bit of sand blasting from the highway, the rear glass was wiped down with something abrasive at some point and you can see the marks that didn't wash off.  I'll have to go over the rear glass with a polisher and some fine compound to see if I can get that out.

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...