IGNORED

Window crank extension available?

Jeff Berk

That aluminum chunk is probably molded onto the splined shaft. And if that's the case, I don't think you would be able to get that shaft out without destroying the aluminum portion. There's probably a feature built into that steel shaft to insure that those two pieces rotate as one. Maybe some splines buried down in there or a square cross sectioned area or something. Cross pin. Something.

So I still think the extendo collar is the first thing I would try. Either welded or set-screwed into place.

• Agree 1

Well here's where I'm at. I cut the shaft; drilled, tapped, faced off the ends; made a spacer from some scrap; and used a short section of all thread to piece it all together. This increased the length by 0.29 inches. I'll need to weld the stack in a couple spots to withstand the torque. I'll then weld the regulator back together. If all works well, I have a second one to do.

Thank you all for the input.

PXL_20230907_191212509.jpgPXL_20230907_191141853.jpgPXL_20230907_181737234.jpgPXL_20230907_204205949.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work.  :beer:  I was going to suggest a threaded rod through the center, but I wasn't sure if removing the material out of the center would weaken the shaft to the point of being a problem.

If I remember my statics theory, most of the torsional stress should be close to the surface. Couple weld dots and hopefully you're OK.

• Like 1

I welded it up and made a mess out of it but it cleaned up ok on the lathe. I'm just trying to get the window back in the track now and then I'll post a picture of the finished project.

I found a rubber bumper in the bottom of the door. Any idea where it goes? I couldn't ID it in the FSM

PXL_20230909_185456783.jpg

Edited by Jeff Berk

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Looks great. So when are you going into production? It sounds like there are a couple other owners who want those.  LOL

If someone needs a crank shaft lengthened, I don't mind doing it for them. However, it would require them to dissasemble the window regulator, pay for round trip shipping, and most importantly, not raise a fuss if I screw up the job. I didn't show my second modified spline shaft but the small rod extending out of one end of the part snapped off while in the lathe, but I was able to use the threaded rod to replace it.

• Like 1