IGNORED

Engine rebuild smoking

emccallum

Its a tough situation. The builder has been a family friend for many years. He has rebuilt numerous motors (BMW, toyota, Ford, Z's) for me over the years.  I had a problem with a 351 (marine motor) he built and he gladly tore it back down and we discovered the problem was me. I installed a different flex plate from the original and it took up all the crank end play.  He is laser focused on the fuel and assures me the bottom end is fine. He admits he doesnt know SU carbs and says that everyone he knew that messed with them are dead. It is hard for me to question someone with way more experience than me, especially someone that has bailed me out more than a few times. I think when I get him back over and he sees it run, he may change his tune. 

At the time I ordered the parts for the rebuild, it was hard to get stuff due to the supply chain issues. I wont mention where I got some stuff as they are not the most popular vendor on here! Who knows, its all speculation until we look inside. 

It will work out, just not sure exactly how right now! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I had the same question.  Looks like he checked.

Kind of sounding like the wrong rings were used or somebody made a mistake somewhere.

If you're going to swap engines you might just take it out and beat on it for a while.  What harm can it do?  Maybe you'll get lucky and the rings will seat and start sealing properly.

This was my line of thinking. That maybe it would seal up if you could load the engine some. Heavy engine braking tends to seat the rings better than just revving with no load. I figure, at this point it's "broke" so you can't break it

I guess another problem could be at the head gasket and maybe oil is getting introduced into the combustion chamber that way but that would tend to only affect certain cylinders and typically the water jackets are the ones to leak not the oil ports

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Which stuff?  You don't have to mention the vendor.

I think that most of use already know who the vendor is.  Which parts?  Pistons?  Rings?  Valve seals?  What brand were they?

Or did you buy a complete head?

Good points. PCV is clear, and oil was 5qts and to the full mark. 

Like a dumb*ss I threw away the old rings and boxes, so I dont know what they were.  I bought rings, rod/crank bearings. No pistons or head stuff.

Spoke the the engine guy at length today. He did some homework on the SU's and asked me to check the fuel pressure. 2psi. He said pull the motor. 

I checked the dipstick for any fuel and noticed its about a qt low. I think the missing quart is all over my shop and concrete! I will post up what I find. May pull it on Friday if I can find a spotter. 

Bad video attached.Enjoy my pain 🙂