IGNORED

Looking for the Hand Brake dust boot replacement part

Av8ferg

I had to drop both rear struts yesterday to install my insulator spacers (car was riding a tad low in the back because the replacement spacers wire from a 240z and are shorter.).  You have to remove the hand brake cable clevis pins to get the strut to drop enough to get the top of the struts past the fender lip.   There is a approximate 2” rubber boot that goes over the cable (see pic), near that clevis pin.  Has anyone found a replacement source for these or know of one that works from a different vehicle.  I’d like to replace mine if possible.   
In the car parts manual it’s #26 in the graphic and they call it a “spring return”,  but that the spring covered by the boot I’m looking for.  

591EA8FB-8F7C-42E1-AF9F-84DE37A9C479.jpeg

C40B8DCF-FAA3-4876-9C76-C9FDD0A58EF6.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

I had to drop both rear struts yesterday to install my insulator spacers (car was riding a tad low in the back because the replacement spacers wire from a 240z and are shorter.).  You have to remove the hand brake cable clevis pins to get the strut to drop enough to get the top of the struts past the fender lip.   There is a approximate 2” rubber boot that goes over the cable (see pic), near that clevis pin.  Has anyone found a replacement source for these or know of one that works from a different vehicle.  I’d like to replace mine if possible.   
In the car parts manual it’s #26 in the graphic and they call it a “spring return”,  but that the spring covered by the boot I’m looking for.  

591EA8FB-8F7C-42E1-AF9F-84DE37A9C479.jpeg

C40B8DCF-FAA3-4876-9C76-C9FDD0A58EF6.jpeg

Doesn’t the Z rubber guy reproduce those?

If not, you may be able to find a suitable replacement from a newer car. If you own something newer, start by looking it over. Bound to be something on a newer car that can be made to work.

You will have trouble finding replacements and if you do it will be a pita getting them over the clevis.

My cable is in good condition, but the rubber bellows are long gone.

All the aftermarket products don't use the bellows type sealing, which I consider a better seal. They use a cup style cover the end of the cable sheath with a hole through it were the cable passes through. The twitched cable can pull road grime and water into the sheath and eventually seize up.

If you do find a solution, I would like to see it.

Screenshot_20230131-190531.jpg

• Like 1