IGNORED

Choke delete?

kcpope

I live in sunny Southern California. It rarely gets below 50 degrees F where I live.

Currently working on getting my 71 back on the road. Right now I’m going through the engine bay.

Maybe a dumb question, but can I simply remove my choke cables and run without? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the question is why delete the choke at all? 

Currently cleaning up my engine bay of anything unnecessary or obsolete. Would love to have 2 less cables in the way. If there’s really no downside, I’ll remove and plug the hole in the firewall with a rubber plug.

51 minutes ago, kcpope said:

Currently cleaning up my engine bay of anything unnecessary or obsolete. Would love to have 2 less cables in the way. If there’s really no downside, I’ll remove and plug the hole in the firewall with a rubber plug.

It wasn't manufacturing practice to put unnecessary items on cars...

When you said you are getting it back on the road, does that mean you've never personally had it on the road? If you have driven it before, did you ever need the choke? Are you planning any engine modifications that could make starting more difficult? 

I have to use my choke for starting my 2.8L with SU's even in summer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’m in the SF bay, I can’t run it without a choke in the morning/night…. Diff climate tho, it gets into mid 40s.

It’s simple/maintenance free enough to keep around…. I don’t like sitting in front of the car holding the throttle open to idle it. I usually turn it on and clean the windows….

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kcpope said:

The downside to me would be struggling to start the engine when it's cold, not two choke cables.