IGNORED

Pertronix Ignition Install

rosaaen89

well now ill need a distributor housing base since i tried to loosen it and one of the bolt heads snapped off . i might just end up taking it somewhere and having them fix it. i don’t have much time anymore to work on it myself . so frustrating feel i made it worse with the pertronix 

3 minutes ago, rosaaen89 said:

well now ill need a distributor housing base since i tried to loosen it and one of the bolt heads snapped off . i might just end up taking it somewhere and having them fix it. i don’t have much time anymore to work on it myself . so frustrating feel i made it worse with the pertronix 

That's not the base. That's the distributor. I had that happen about 28 years ago. Then the extractor broke when we tried to get out the bolt. YIKES! I still have that distributor, too.

Many times the frustration is part of the learning process. All of us had to get from not knowing the difference from our asses and a hole in a ground.

it’s the portion that mounts to the block i’m pretty sure it’s the pedestal . i think i can get one for less then $100 . i tried to extract the bolt but won’t come out all the way. crappy thing is i don’t think there’s any datsun mechanics near me but maybe some shop nearby will know their stuff 

On 12/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, SteveJ said:

One of the easiest ways to get the engine to TDC is to use a remote starter like this: https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3630-Remote-Starter-Switch

You'll need to remove the valve cover so you can see the camshaft. You take the wire off the solenoid and clip the remote starter to it and clip the other wire on the remote starter to battery positive. Make sure the car is out of gear and use wheel chocks to keep the car from moving. Squeeze the trigger to turn the engine with the starter. You are looking to get the intake and exhaust lobes for cylinder 1 on the camshaft to be pointing up like "bunny ears". I marked the lobes you want to look at in the picture below. (Thanks, @240260280, for the photo.)

image.png

After you get the engine to TDC, remove the remote starting switch, put the wire back on the solenoid, and replace the valve cover

What is "it"?

which wire on the solenoid ?

• 4 months later...

I have a related question. I installed the Pertronix Ignitor and it starts fine, but since then the fuel gauge is not accurate. It doesn't seem to move off of about 2/3 full, even when I run out of gas. 😞

Some wiring pics.

PXL_20230425_212149646.jpg

PXL_20230425_212057277.jpg

Edited by Dadsun

Interesting, Pure coincidence or it has to do with a bad ground? I can't - of the top of my head- say what this could be.. what has the ign.circuit in common with the fuelmeter? .....  ground? 

As your meter stays on 2/3 full, there is obviously something wrong in the metercables, take a good look at the schematics..

18 hours ago, Dadsun said:

I have a related question. I installed the Pertronix Ignitor and it starts fine, but since then the fuel gauge is not accurate. It doesn't seem to move off of about 2/3 full, even when I run out of gas. 😞

Some wiring pics.

Very unlikely they are related. Start a new thread on the fuel gauge, and I'll give you some tests to run.

• Like 2