IGNORED

Early Model Switch Deficiencies

jfa.series1

I'm working on a combo light switch dated 0Y (Nov. 1970) and came across some design deficiencies, one of which I posted about previously: The plastic stalk is indexed to the frame with an extended tab prone to breaking as it did on this one. Fortunately, the broken tab was retained in the boot. I took a shot of the frame compared with an April '71 switch where the design flaw was corrected.

100_4542.JPG

With the repair completed it was ready to be reassembled:

100_4549.JPG

The early design also had wiring deficiencies with light gauge wires, pictured on the left with the April '71 on the right:

100_4539.JPG

Here are the switch internal contact bridges with the remains of a melted nubbin:

100_4543.JPG

And the contact side of the bridges with a lot of carbon buildup:

100_4547.JPG

Note also on the early switch the discolored red wire. That one is providing high amp power directly to the contact point. That was changed in the redesign with power entering via the bridge pivot point. With all the high amp current being pushed thru light gauge wiring its no surprise that resistance built up and fried the poor nubbin!

The early design was superceded in January 1971 and later changed again for the '72 model cars.

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 3