IGNORED

Euro / JDM taillight wiring

Patcon

So I have a pair of euro taillights I want to install in Lily. I know they require some rewiring. I searched the forum but couldn't find a relavent thread. Maybe the librarian can or someone else can chime in on whats required

Edited by Patcon

Okay, so there is one place in the taillight harness you may have to cut wires unless you can source bulb sockets that work in the taillight sockets. (I just ordered a likely candidate, and I'll provide an update when I get my grubby paws on it.)

Anyway, since the wiring harnesses are out, it wouldn't be a big deal to add a wire to the harness and wrap it to protect the wire. I've attached an example of how to do it on a 72.

Turn Signal Modification for JDM Taillights.pdf

• Thanks 1

Hi Patcon , I am not good at electrical components nor wiring harnesses , but I would be happy if I could help you a bit for your project. Do you want to see my Fairlady Z tail light assembly?  Or if you want to see anything which is related to your project, let me know . It is easy for me to show you , maybe not easy to source Fairlady Z parts but way better than looking for them in the US.

Kats

Edited by kats

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

So I have a pair of euro taillights I want to install in Lily. I know they require some rewiring.

I had a set too but sold then as they required more wires (i have a usa cal. 240z) ..

I have saved me a French 240z rear lights set!  They have no back up lights (white) and will not need me to ad a extra wire!  (Upper part is red and lower part orange.. or visa-versa.. don't no..)

I don't know if i ever start to restore my 240z (for the third.. for me, for the second time! haha..) but then there is the hazard switch also that messes things up..  I know that the american car has a 9 wire and the euro has a 3 wire switch.. so there is also a lot of wire changes due..

The brakes light is wired into the indicators and make things complicated..

I don't now which electronic diagram i have in my 240z service manual but there should be 2 different ones at least..

If someone has these.. the US and EU/Japanese,  ones that would be nice to have in this topic.

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Lamp sockets

Nice. Take a picture of the connector that the sockets go to. Since it has lamp sockets, it's most likely just a matter of modifying the connector at the steering column, running the wire in the dash harness and body harness, and maybe changing the connectors at the taillights to work with the modifications. As I said before, since the harnesses are not likely in the car, the wire can be run and wrapped into the harnesses. No cutting, no slashing, no ring around the collar.

• Like 2