IGNORED

Strange intake noise?

chaseincats

Hi guys,

My friend's 75 280 has always made this strange hissing from the intake: https://youtu.be/mjrzNhHvXL4.  Any ideas what this could be?

We took off the cone filter and when we did we could hear it from the afm, so we took off the afm, and could hear it through the throttlebody, when we took off the throttlebody the sound stopped (kept the engine running by pulling the temp sensor cable and left the tps switch in to run rich enough for it to not die).

We've checked multiple times for vacuum leaks using both a smoker and a can of starter fluid on the manifold and there are no leaks.  We also tried 2 other throttlebodies and both make that noise.  I've never heard if this issue - has anyone encountered it?

-chase

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

If the system is not intact you can suck a lot of air through the PCV valve.

How did you keep the engine from revving to 8000 RPM with no throttle blade?

Intact in what sense?  The hose is connected to the block and intake manifold with the new pcv screwed into the intake.  Is there anything else I’d be missing?  The valve cover hose isn’t plugged either.

Oddly the car barely ran without the throttlebody on.  I’d have thought the engine would freak out too.

That's what I meant.  You didn't answer so I couldn't tell.

With no throttle body there is effectively no vacuum being pulled on the intake manifold.  So any leaks that would make noise with vacuum will stop making noise.  Could be an injector seal, the gasket around the cold start valve, intake manifold gasket.