IGNORED

need help with broken hood latch cable

Jeff Berk

My carbonator linkage disconnected during a drive so I pulled the hood release lever to fix it only to have it pull out with a broken cable. 

I had it towed home and it's up on my lift.

If I want to try and release the latch with a long screw driver, what does the latching mechanism's cable attachment point look like from underneath? 

Oh... BTW: Happy 4th of July

Edited by Jeff Berk
  • Wow 2

I think I just found something in an old posting:

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/107117-howto-release-a-240z-hood-when-cable-broken/

Note that the link shows a slightly modified latch using a nut and bolt to attach the cable end.

I just ordered a new cable (from Thailand) and am heading out tomorrow to get a long, narrow pry bar/screwdriver.

post-28805-079940900%201338375158.jpg

Edited by Jeff Berk
  • Like 1

So far, no luck with tripping the hood release, too much engine and transmission in the way.

If I just undo the bolts on the front of the hood, wouldn't the latch at the rear of the hood keep me from removing it?

Yep, the only way is to reach up from underneath to push the latch to the released position. It will be easiest from the passenger side, as the exhaust will be in the way on the driver's side.

A long prying driver, like this should get you there.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Racer X
  • Agree 1

I think someone on this forum made an emergency pull for the hood latch that is still accessed from below but easier than using a pry bar.

Here's one thread where @beandip and @Bonzi Lon describe their emergency release: 

In post #11 on this thread @mjr45 describes how he fashioned an emergency release. 

• Like 1