IGNORED

rocker switch needed

kully 560

I really like to keep the stock lights and stuff. I was taking some measurements for the defogger switch in the large location as I have a spare center console in storage. it will clip in a little different as far as the support [snap in]. I was looking at round rocker switches this morning and thought installing 2 in the blank location. 1 for the fog lights and 1 for the electric fan override switch. that blank plastic filler cover has raised edges to look like the switch. I also was looking at a 2 gang rocker switches that are panel mounted. but so far I can not seem to find the size that is needed. I measured the opening in the spare console and it is 1-7/8" long buy 1-7/16" wide. I am going to find something I just need to spend the extra time on the internet. I will post what I have come up with also . 

21 hours ago, kully 560 said:

hi Steve I am not sure on the signature but all the info on my car is under my name kully560. the car is a 1974 datsun 260z early production date 8/1974

Can't really blame anyone anymore for not having their details in their signature.  The Editing process makes no sense at all.  You have to go to Account Settings, then find Signature way over on the left in a long column of things.  Signature is not a Setting.

https://www.classiczcars.com/settings/

image.png

image.png

well, I have been looking around captain obvious and found a 2 gang rocker switches panel mounted. the web site is parts express and the product # is 069-226. they are rated 12v/125v at 10amp.so for 12v purpose I would have no problem with them controlling relays. I did measure the console in the car where the blank plate is.  it looks close to removing the 2 raised portions that represent each switch. that would give it a cleaner look and the rockers are black with white symbols. I am going to order 2, 1 for a spare as they are on clearance and they are the only switches I can find  molded together and mini size. let me know what you think .

• Like 1

Electrically that two gang switch you bought will be great. It will all come down to how well you can get it to fit.

If necessary, you could cut the four retaining tabs off the back of that stitch assy if it helps it fit in the hole better. You would have to figure out a different way to keep it in place, but making it look good from the top side is the most important.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.  LOL

I think cutting the hole should be no problem with patience.  the switch does have over lapping sides for the clips to hold and I will probably beef up the oem plate from the underside with a plastic plate. maybe cut down on the clips [shorter]and glue the bottom plate on to the oem plate before cutting for switch size. it was all that I could find in that size for a 2 gang switch, the rest well full size or single mini switches. I thought about the round rocker switch but if this 2 gang is done right it might look the best for what is out there to buy.

yes, I think they look great to. I also see you have to hole between the rear defogger and the seat belts light. I plan to install a small led pilot in that location to let me know the cooling fan is running. I am planning to wire it off of the manual bypass switch for the fan.

• 3 weeks later...

I my junk yard explorations I stumbled on a 280z that had a rocker switch in the location the “floor temp” light goes. You can easily pop out the back plate and install a switch left/right lighted rocker switch there. I thought it was a good location.

6 hours ago, kully 560 said:

here is a pictured of the 2 gang rocker switch . captain obvious how did you make out with the same project? 

Your switches look good. 

I haven't finalized my situation, but I'll try to snap a couple pics when I get the chance. I warn you though... It's going to raise some questions.   :excl: