IGNORED

rocker switch needed

kully 560

does anybody know where to pick up a rocker switch for the console? I am looking to install the fog lights and would like to install the rocker switch in the spare location next to the hazard switch to control the fog lights. I am not sure if a regular rocker switch will fit?thanks

If the 260 console has the same switch blank as the 280z, you can carefully cut out the knock out area, and install a rocker switch such as the ones I sourced from Orielly's for my fog & spots.  I tried to get a amber switch for the fogs, but no luck.

Here is one at NAPA  https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/GRO821901?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Catch-All&campaign_id=6478877959&adgroup_id=79272987338&adtype=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwgr6TBhAGEiwA3aVuISU9xlR3zFptoGzFAx9hy0P08xM8zturaLAAMwC7XAh7ET0dJpvDYRoCG8wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&

Fog Sw.jpg

Edited by S30Driver
added link

I think Jim is right. I looked on Z Car Source to see what they had for switches. They do have a defroster switch, but it's obviously too small to fit in the hole on the right.

20220502_173802.jpg

I did look for Niles brand switches to help preserve the look. The search took me to ebay, where I saw this Nissan hazard switch: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115356499313?epid=20040619831&hash=item1adbc87d71:g:ovYAAOSw5BJiY1z6

On Amazon, I saw rocker switches like this: https://www.amazon.com/Position-Rocker-Toggle(Quality-Assurance-Years)KCD3-101/dp/B07MV56LKS

The listing has lighted and non-lighted switches.

I found a 1974 260z rear defogger switch for sale but I am not sure and even the seller was not helpful if it will work for the fog lights. I do not know if it is just a switch or if it has maybe a built in resistor?

3 hours ago, kully 560 said:

I found a 1974 260z rear defogger switch for sale but I am not sure and even the seller was not helpful if it will work for the fog lights. I do not know if it is just a switch or if it has maybe a built in resistor?

The defogger switch is just a normal SPST switch, so that part of it is no problem. No resistors or anything else unusual. Just a switch.

The only thing that would concern me is how much current can that defog switch deal with? I don't think I would want fog light current going directly through that switch. I'd want to use a relay between the switch and the lights.

• Agree 1

thanks for the answer, it will be controlling a relay so there will be no load on the switch. I was also thinking the switch will fit the length and I will just have to cut the width on the blank plastic plate. it will be about as original as I can get.

Cool. If you're already just controlling a relay, then a 260/280 stock defog switch will work fine.

As for where to put it.... I've been messing with the same thing in recent weeks and I've tried several different configurations. I recently made an adapter plate to put one of those switches in that rightmost larger hole. But the simplest thing would be to put it horizontal in one of the two positions right below the radio. If you've got a 260, then your right side is the "CHOKE" light, and the left side is your "REAR REFOGGER" location.

Maybe you could live without a defogger iindicator lamp there and use that location for your fog light switch? You still need CHOKE, but maybe you could do without the DEFOG indicator.

And when I get a chance I'll take some pics of some of the other stuff I've been messing with.  One of my "and after a completely unprofitable amount of hours later, I have this" kind of things.  LOL

• Like 1