IGNORED

Replacement radiator brand/location

Hi guys,

My current copper/original radiator has had it, it's cracked at the top and full of sediment so it's not cooling well and needs to go.  I've heard horror stories about the aluminum radiators on ebay with the tabs not matching up with the mounting ones on the car.

Does anyone know a brand that is literally a drop-in fit without having to bend tabs/drill/mess with the car to get it to fit?  I would also like to continue using the belt-driven fan and so the original fan shroud would need to be mountable on it too.

I know everyone says the aluminum ones don't cool as well but that never made sense to me since modern car radiators are aluminum as I understand it.

11 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

If the tanks are OK, you might consider having the OE radiator re-cored. I can point you to a local shop that can probably do the work.

I took it to Bill's radiator in Plano a few years ago where they acid bathed it, rodded it, and welded all the cracks shut up because the metal was so thin at that point the welds didn't hold, and their work only lasted about 6 months.  I've just been driving it as-is for a while but the radiator finally started saying enough a few months back.

• Like 1

Hey @chaseincats.  This info is probably too out-of-date for you, but back in July, 2018, I purchased a new radiator from Rockauto.com.  The brand was APDI/PRO, part number 8010634.  This was for my ‘75 280Z.  If I recall correctly, it bolted right up.

74F02948-5C4C-430E-B6AD-A9883A6670B1.jpeg

45 minutes ago, SoCalJim said:

Hey @chaseincats.  This info is probably too out-of-date for you, but back in July, 2018, I purchased a new radiator from Rockauto.com.  The brand was APDI/PRO, part number 8010634.  This was for my ‘75 280Z.  If I recall correctly, it bolted right up.

74F02948-5C4C-430E-B6AD-A9883A6670B1.jpeg

That looks like a copper not aluminum radiator, correct?  I just checked their site here and it seems they don't carry it anymore 😞 

Edited by chaseincats

I’ve been using a 3core aluminum “champion” radiator from eBay. It works well, I don’t use a shroud (because I don’t have one), and am using a mechanical fan. 

I’m in the SF Bay Area, it’s never really too hot out here, however the car does see “track days” and has not had any overheating issues. 

I don’t recall any issues with mounting the radiator. 

• Like 1