IGNORED

280z Inner Door Latch Rod Coupling -- Rubber

ckurtz2

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone else has run into the same issue as me. Can't see any evidence of someone else with this issue, thus why I am posting.

On my 1977 280z the inner door latch has some sort of rubber piece on the eyelet coupling between the latch and the springed rod. Do you know where I can get a replacement, or recommendations for a substitute, or if I should ignore it. It seems to keep the rod from rubbing on the metal it threads through. Redoing the mechanical parts inside the door, so figured I would address this while I am in here. Thanks!

Here what I am talking about on the door.

IMG-2336.jpg

IMG-2335.jpg

This is the other door that still has a small bit of the tattered rubber left. Pretty nasty looking

IMG-2337.jpg

Generic rubber grommet of the proper size should do. You'll need to determine the size of the hole in the latch housing the latch rod runs through and the size of the latch rod itself and choose a size that is close to the same.

The flanges of the grommet will sound deaden the metal to metal contact of the latch rod ring end and the metal washer on the spring side. I think that was the intended reason for the rubber cushion. You will probably have to razorblade split the grommet to install it-- using superglue to join the split after it is in place. The grommet may be elastic enough to slip over the ring end of the rod linkage----I don't know---worth a try.

Scroll down to Style 2 in this page link:

https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-grommets/grommets-6/

image.png

Edited by Zup
remove double image
  • Like 2

The rubber bit doesn’t sit in the slit like a grommet would, it is just a disk on the handle side to, as mentioned, sound dampen the action when you use the handle. I think it was actually felt-like or something. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zKars said:

The rubber bit doesn’t sit in the slit like a grommet would, it is just a disk on the handle side to, as mentioned, sound dampen the action when you use the handle.

Might be easier to just use a neoprene washer then. Similar to this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-16-in-x-1-2-in-Black-Neoprene-Washer-4-Piece-815728/204276433?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-204276387-_-204276433-_-N

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, my driver’s side door makes a very noticeable “click” when I pull my lever to open the door.  Its coming from this exact location you’re referring too.  As the hook pulls on the eye loop the spring rod moves latterly causing this click sound and a also a binding feel.  I put grease on mine but it didn’t help at all.  I’m going to try a rubber grommet. 

4 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Thanks for posting this, my driver’s side door makes a very noticeable “click” when I pull my lever to open the door.  Its coming from this exact location you’re referring too.  As the hook pulls on the eye loop the spring rod moves latterly causing this click sound and a also a binding feel.  I put grease on mine but it didn’t help at all.  I’m going to try a rubber grommet. 

Glad you found some help within the thread. When you get it all figured out please do share the results (if it worked and what sized grommet/washer you used)!