IGNORED

I'd rather save this oil pump, but...

One bolt broken, one fully loose but won't come out, and the pump housing itself absolutely refuses to come out.  I can twist it slightly back and forth, but have made not even 1mm of progress getting it to come off.

I'm trying to get this engine disassembled so it can go to the machine shop to be reconditioned, and I'm tempted to just have them remove the pump by any means necessary and replace it.

20220315_191957.jpg

Try soaking the stubborn and broken bolt with Kano Kroil. And I mean really soak them and let them sit for a couple of days. After that, try heating up the area around the bolts with a propane torch (go easy here), and just keep working to remove. The bolts are surrounded with oxidation.

Edited by crayZlair
added text for clarity
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Try splitting the cover off of the pump body, 5 and 1.  That's probably where the stuck bolt is stuck.

Thanks, though the problem there is is looks like one of the 2 bolts that holds the two halves together is inaccessible when it's mounted on the engine.  Unless I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing...

Edited by ArcticFoxCJ

Just now, crayZlair said:

Try soaking the stubborn and broken bolt with Kano Kroil. And I mean really soak them and let them sit for a couple of days. After that, try heating up the area around the bolts with a propane torch, and just keep working to remove. The bolts are surrounded with oxidation.

I'll give that a shot.  To be honest, with the massive sludge and slime that was in the oil pan, I'm not entirely sure this pump is even viable...  But I'd rather not replace it if I can avoid it.  

Funny, I saw the cartoon and thought the right words to search to be sure, (Edit, deleted stuff - never mind.  I see that the caption fits what he said.  Oh well.)

Would Heisenberg be more appropriate?  Not the Breaking Bad one.

Edited by Zed Head

I used the Melling 152 turbo manual transmission oil pump on mine. It stays on the high side of the gauge. Seems like it was $60 in 2016 from Advance Auto. Probably a $100 now. :ph34r:

Found on google.com...

non turbo L28 (75 to 83)
model M90 = 2 gallons/minute at 491 rpm

turbo L28 with automatic trans
model M111 = 2 gallons/minute at 491 rpm

turbo L28 with manual trans
model M152 = 2.25 gallons/minute at 491 rpm

• Like 1